County Board elections uncommon knowledge among students

The 2002 Dane County Board Election kick-off will take place Dec. 1, officially ushering in the campaign season.

Beginning this Saturday, County Board incumbents and hopefuls may begin to accumulate the required 50 signatures necessary in order to be placed on the ballot.

Next spring’s election, which is scheduled to take place the first Tuesday of April, will be the first County Board election since the districts were redrawn with the information collected in the 2000 census.

County Board representatives serve a two-year term. Elections are held on years that alternate with City Council elections.

The current 39-member County Board is distinct from the Madison City Council and typically deals with issues on a larger-scale than those of the City Council, such as maintenance of county roads, transportation policies, managing the airport and zoo, and any other responsibilities beyond the jurisdiction of just one city or town in Dane County.

“We deal with more policy issues, and less day to day issues,” said Rep. Scott McDonell, District 1.

The County Board’s most significant responsibilities involve its role as a distributor of funds for human services, which includes nearly half of its annual $370 million budget. The County Board has recently funded the Tenant Resource Center and PAVE (Promote Awareness Victim Empowerment).

The reduction of the County Board to 37 members is only the first step in a planned large-scale cutback of County Board members. Currently, one board member represents 10,000 people. After the 2002 elections, that number will increase to 12,000 people. Several years down the line, one County Board member may represent 20,000 people.

“The smaller districts are good because you are able to get to know and have a close relationship with those in your district. With a larger district, a sense of detachment might exist,” said Rep. Tom Powell, District 5.

McDonell said there is a lack of interest in the County Board elections among the student community.

“Typically, student turnout in the elections is low,” he said. “Students do not feel like they have a stake in local politics yet.”

McDonell was first elected to the County Board in 1996 and will be up for re-election.

District 8 representative Echnaton Vedder, who is also running for re-election, is hopeful the County Board, which has been dominated by conservatives, might be more evenly balanced out after the 2002 elections.
“Conservatives have had a majority for the past three and a half years,” he said. “I think we can swing it back the other way by getting some progressive people to run.”
Powell encourages people interested in participating in local politics to run for office.
“It is a great growth experience, especially for a university student,” said Powell
He encourages those interested in running for County Board to call the County Clerk’s office at 266-4121, or to visit their website for information at www.co.Dane.wi.us.