Though not infectious, diabetes a real, growing threat in U.S.

Everyone is familiar with the media-hyped epidemics of the past 10 years: H1N1 (swine flu), SARS and West Nile virus to name a few. For many Badgers, the memories of quarantined dorm floors and respiratory masks cast these diseases in a dangerous light.

However, there is another epidemic for which no vaccine can be developed and whose global incidence is on the rise. No, it is not another flu virus. The disease in question is diabetes. The Centers for Disease Control estimates indicate that between 8,870-18,300 deaths were attributable to the H1N1 virus in 2009. Compare that to the over 230,000 deaths contributed to diabetes in 2007 and suddenly swine flu doesn’t seem so scary. Recent projections indicate that 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes by the year 2050. Luckily for us, diabetes can be prevented with simple lifestyle changes, including eating a balanced diet and exercising 30 minutes a day.

Diabetes mellitus is a disease that causes chronically elevated blood sugar due to either an insufficiency (Type 1) or insensitivity (Type 2) to the hormone insulin. Insulin causes cells to take in sugar, thereby reducing its concentration in the blood. Type 1 diabetes is caused by autoimmune destruction of the insulin-producing cells, and accounts for only 5 percent of all cases. Type 2, or adult-onset diabetes, accounts for 95 percent of cases and is the preventable form of the disease. There are many risk factors for Type 2 diabetes including, but not limited to, obesity, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Although no “vaccine” exists for diabetes, it can be prevented with something far less invasive than a needle: simple diet and exercise. Eating a balanced diet is extremely effective in reducing the risk factors for Type 2 diabetes. Avoid saturated fats and salt, which increase cholesterol and blood pressure, and eat more foods high in fiber, such as whole grains.

This is easier said than done on a college budget, when the price of a pack of Ramen seems to justify its astronomical sodium content. The key here is moderation and balance. The occasional slice of Ian’s is okay, but it should not be the norm and should be balanced with fruits and vegetables.

In addition to diet, exercise positively influences almost every risk factor for diabetes. I am not suggesting everyone should start running marathons, but even small changes in a daily routine can go a long way. For example, maybe try taking the stairs to your dorm floor or walking to class instead of riding the 80. The goal is to get at least 30 minutes of physical exercise most days of the week.

Diabetes may not seem as threatening to many college students as the influenza virus or an organic chemistry midterm, but with 2 million new cases diagnosed each year, it represents a very real threat to our health. Preventive behaviors only work if they are undertaken before the disease occurs. We must take control of our health now if we want to reduce the future onset of diabetes. So this year at Thanksgiving, maybe skip the second helping of stuffing, pass on the pecan pie and get outside and show your Minnesota cousins how a Badger throws a football.

Ryan Crass ([email protected]) is a DPH-1 student pharmacist.