CFACT: Programs relevant to campus

On the University of Wisconsin campus, Collegians For A Constructive Tomorrow offers a variety of campus programs available to not just CFACT group members but also other individuals on campus.

It examines issues ranging from clean air and water, to safe food, to wildlife preservation, to energy, to garbage disposal, to government regulation. Ecology Awareness is a program that includes trash clean ups and other educational walks and hikes on campus. CFACT takes trips to recycling and garbage plants and other industrial facilities related to CFACT’s goals and initiatives.

Additionally, many lectures are hosted throughout the semester, which are once again open to the general public as well as members. CFACT members are also involved in monitoring public policy in which, “student activists participate in government meetings at the local, state, national, and even international level where important environmental issues are being deliberated.”

Finally, members are involved in many different forms of campus outreach that are meant to raise awareness on campus of many of the issues that CFACT actively supports. One example of this is Campus Conservationist, which is a group that takes a look at environmental issues on campus. This semester, we spent a lot of time increasing awareness of littering on campus and its effects on the UW-Madison campus, students, faculty, and the community as a whole.

Additionally, we focused on public transportation as an alternative to driving. We found that students were uninformed and uncertain of their roles in many issues ranging from proper disposable of recyclables to energy conservation.

CFACT offers a variety of programs to the campus that are unique and offer students new ways to get involved in a variety of global issues on the local level.

Emily Santeler ([email protected]) is an intern with CFACT and a junior at UW.