Make Chelsea’s mom president

We all met Hillary Clinton at different times, in different places and at different stages in our lives, but our stories are remarkably similar. All of us were filled with nervous excitement at the prospect of meeting the first lady of Arkansas, the first lady of the United States or the senator from New York, and were mostly hoping not to embarrass ourselves. (Meeting your friend?s mom for the first time in the foyer of the White House was an overwhelming experience for a bunch of awkward 13-year-olds!) Despite our nerves and the unique settings in which our first meetings took place, Hillary put us at ease within minutes. We were greeted with hugs, exclamations of how much she had heard about us from Chelsea and invitations to stay for dinner, to spend the night, to join the Clintons for a movie or a game of cards. In those first moments of our relationship with Hillary, all of her public titles and tremendous accomplishments faded and in our eyes she became, first and foremost, Chelsea?s mom.

Growing up, Hillary was like a second mom to all of Chelsea?s friends (we are sure you know the type of mom we are talking about from your own adolescence). She was a constant presence at school events, sleepover parties and family gatherings. She was the hit of the annual Mother?s Day Skit in high school, imitating Chelsea in tights and ballet slippers with her nose buried in a book. She was a shoulder to cry on after a particularly bad high school break-up and taught us that sometimes, after a terrible day, a giant chocolate brownie is truly the best medicine. She encouraged us to work hard in school, converting the White House kitchen into our exam study room. She taught us how to make sweet potato souffl? when we decided to attempt our first Thanksgiving. She was a source of solace and love when we lost a parent.

We have been so very fortunate to get to know Hillary through our own personal experiences. We have seen who she is and what she stands for with our own eyes, and we are stronger and better for it. As teenagers, we saw her fight for health care for all Americans, before it was fashionable. We saw her travel the world and speak out on behalf of women and children. We saw her get up every day and work to make a difference in people?s lives, no matter the obstacles in her path or personal attacks sent in her direction. We saw her make history by becoming the first first lady elected to public office. We saw her fight to get New York back on its feet after the devastating attacks on Sept. 11. And we saw her raise a remarkable daughter under the most difficult of circumstances.

Growing up with Hillary in our lives taught us the value and necessity of public service and the power of government to make a positive difference in people?s lives. Because of what she has fought for and accomplished at home and around the world, we have grown up believing that we too could set bold goals and survive personal storms. The broken glass around her feet from the countless ceilings she has shattered has inspired us to believe that we can succeed at home and in the workplace. She has inspired us to believe that we will have the chance to cast our votes for the first woman president.

Over the past many months, we have had the great privilege of volunteering for Hillary?s campaign, and have witnessed the thousands of Americans waiting in rope lines and large crowds to thank her for making a meaningful difference in their lives. Soldiers and veterans thank her for providing them with the body armor and health care they deserve. Single mothers thank her for working to create the Children?s Health Insurance Plan. Young and old women alike thank her for going to Beijing to declare that women?s rights are human rights, and for tirelessly fighting on behalf of women and children. Students thank her for proposing the most comprehensive, innovative and achievable plan to make college affordable for all Americans.

We have no doubt that as president, Hillary will continue to make a dramatic difference in the lives of others. Helping people through inspiration and perspiration has been the story of her life. We have seen this firsthand and we have seen it up close. As young women who care deeply about our country and our collective future, we know that she is our brightest hope. And so with full hearts and great excitement, we urge you to join with us in supporting Hillary Clinton for president. She is the person and the president our country needs.

This letter was jointly written by Jennifer Lee, Ellen Cornelius, Elsa Collins, Martha Brantley and several other dear friends of Chelsea Clinton from high school, college and graduate school ([email protected]).