Tradition unlike any other: A detailed guide to game day in residence halls

What to do in residence halls before a football game
Abby Cima

Of all the traditions at the University of Wisconsin, Saturday game days stand above the rest. Whether enjoying the game with family or friends, there is no better feeling than experiencing a Badger football win inside the friendly confines of Camp Randall Stadium.

As a first-year student, Saturdays can be somewhat intimidating since the campus is unfamiliar and doesn’t have a designated spot to tailgate. Here are the essentials for maximizing a game day experience.

Saturdays in Madison are all about seizing the day. If it’s an 11:00 a.m. start, most students tend to wake up around 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. This sounds brutal, but it’ll only improve the game day experience by having more time to get food and get ready for the game. Plus, there’s nothing better than a hot morning shower to wake someone up.

USC and UCLA announce move from PAC-12 to Big Ten conference

Living in residence halls is an essential part of the first year experience so take advantage of it by hanging out with people on your floor before the game. Everyone will be new to the dorm environment and eager to make new friends. Don’t be afraid — everyone else is in the same boat. Go ahead and knock on people’s doors, asking if they want to hang out before kickoff starts.

One of the best parts about game days is tailgating with fellow Badgers, and the residence halls provide a perfect environment since most first year students live in close quarters. Soon enough, there will be lifelong friendships and a permanent group to tailgate with every Saturday. 

Even though tailgating with friends is full of fun, the best part about game days is being a part of the electric student section environment. Thankfully, most of the Southeast residence halls are near the stadium so walking to the game with a group of friends is a feasible option. Taking an Uber is also a solid option, even though it might be expensive. To obtain an optimal seat, arrive at least 15-20 minutes before kickoff. Once in the stadium, feel free to sit back, relax and watch Braelon Allen run all over the opposing defense. 

Football: Preview of Badgers offense next season with new coordinator at the helm

After standing the whole day and jumping around, exhaustion will kick in, and that’s okay! Usually, getting a bite to eat tends to fix that problem. Nitty Gritty and State Street Brats are perfect for accommodating a large group and a big appetite. Also, hanging outside on the Terrace is another great way to cool off while also experiencing the natural beauty of Madison. 

Football game days in Madison are special. Starting the day off early, hanging out with friends and  experiencing a win with thousands of other passionate fans is an experience like no other. The whole town is painted red that day, and everyone is united in rocking cardinal and white. As the night comes to an end, the realization occurs that you have experienced a Saturday tradition unlike any other.