Remember films to see this November

As the holiday season starts to set in, the film industry is gearing up for awards season. This month brings a mix of critically acclaimed films and love stories, including “Life of Pi” (Nov. 21) and the finale to the Twilight series, “Breaking Dawn – Part 2” (Nov. 16). Here is a glimpse of more films coming in November, the month that is poised to offer a satisfying assortment of cinema, from the latest Spielberg drama to the next 007 flick.

“Lincoln,” starring Daniel Day-Lewis (“There Will Be Blood”), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“The Dark Knight Rises”), Sally Field (“The Amazing Spiderman”). Opens Nov. 16.

Just to make things clear, this is not “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer.” Huge difference. Instead, it is the new film from acclaimed director Steven Spielberg starring Daniel Day-Lewis, the latter in his first film since “There Will Be Blood,” which garnered him an Academy Award. Day-Lewis plays President Abraham Lincoln during the height of the Civil War, as large amounts of blood continue to be shed, fighting with his administration to declare freedom for slaves. To tell this story of the final four months of Lincoln’s life, Spielberg continued his renowned association with composer John Williams to create what should be a beautiful and emotional score for a deeply historical story.

“Skyfall,” starring Daniel Craig (“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”), Helen McCrory (“Hugo”), Javier Bardem (“Biutiful”). Opens Nov. 9.

The 23rd film in the James Bond series, “Skyfall,” arrives this month starring Daniel Craig in his third performance as the beloved figurehead of espionage. When Bond begins to investigate a series of attacks, he is introduced to a new villain, Raoul Silva, played by Javier Bardem. Other notable cast members include Ralph Fiennes (“Coriolanus”) and Judi Dench, who is reprising her role as “M” for the final time. The release of “Skyfall” also coincides with the 50th anniversary of the first James Bond film in 1962, “Dr. No.”

“Anna Karenina,” starring Keira Knightley (“A Dangerous Method”), Jude Law (“Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (“Kick-Ass”). Opens Nov. 16.

An adaptation of the Tolstoy novel “Anna Karenina,” this film stars Keira Knightley as Anna Karenina, a high society Russian aristocrat married to Alexei Karenin, played by Jude Law. However, conflict in the story erupts when Anna has an affair with the Count Vronsky, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson. The film is directed by Joe Wright, who has worked with Knightley on other films, including “Atonement” and “Pride and Prejudice.” The film, a historical piece, looks to create great artistry, and it will stand as a contender for the awards season.

“Silver Linings Playbook,” starring Bradley Cooper (“The Hangover”), Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games”), Robert De Niro (“New Year’s Eve”). Opens Nov. 21.

The recipient of the People’s Choice Award at the Toronto Film Festival, “Silver Linings Playbook” casts Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence as Pat and Tiffany, respectively – two people struggling with a mix of social issues. Pat in particular is an angry individual. However, as they begin to spend time together, they bring out the best in one another. The relationship grows when Tiffany asks Pat to stand as her partner in a ballroom dance competition. The film also stars Robert De Niro as Pat’s father, struggling to help his son. What started as a small independent film, the brainchild of director David Russell (“The Fighter”) continues to grow in popularity.

For many, 2012 is shaping up as a great and even historic year for film, with notable releases like “Dark Knight Rises” and “Moonrise Kingdom” already this summer. November promises to provide a positive start to the time of year that annually brings the best of the best in film.