Not Enough Recognition for Cabrera

Miguel Cabrera accomplished the unthinkable on Wednesday night when he completed Major League Baseball’s first Triple Crown since Carl Yastremski did so in 1967, yet you wouldn’t know it unless you watched the first five minutes of Sportscenter Thursday morning. 

In an age in which Sportscenter is basically dedicated to answering the question, “should Tim Tebow start?” it is completely unforgiving for Cabrera to not get the recognition he deserves. 

On both Sports Illustrated and ESPN’s homepages, Cabrera wasn’t even the top story. SI had a giant picture of the Oakland Athletics clinching the AL West Division, while ESPN depicted the New York Yankees as sports heroes for clinching the AL East. 

Perhaps it is that our generation is just not used to this sort of greatness or it has not sunk in that we have witnessed what truly has become a once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment, but that doesn’t mean we can’t fake it. 

Why is it that when Rory McIlroy wins the U.S. Open he gets a full page spread on numerous sports websites, yet Cabrera doesn’t even have a blurb on the side 24 hours later?
The whole “what have you done for me lately” aspect of sports should not apply in Cabrera’s case when he accomplished what once seemed to be an impossible feat.