Running Backs Headline Key Pickups for Week 4

The Colts and the Steelers have byes in Week 4 leaving fantasy owners in need of replacements from free agency or the bench. Also potentially in need are owners of Week 3 injury victims Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller, Willis McGahee, and Beanie Wells. Their injuries don’t seem too severe, but this definitely opens up room for backups. Here are recommended pickups for the upcoming week.

1. Thomas, Daniel (RB, MIA) – Reggie Bush suffered from a knee injury in Week 3, leaving Thomas free to carry 19 times for 69 yards with a touchdown, adding one reception for 11 yards. Bush might be active in week 4, but based on his injury history, Thomas shouldn’t be a bad option for the future.

2. Choice, Tashard (RB, BUF) – C.J. Spiller suffered from a left shoulder injury in Week 3 opening the way for Choice who carried 20 times for 91 yards and caught two passes for eight yards. Since both Jackson and Spiller are likely out, Choice can be a decent option to fill in the running back spot for Week 4 at least, if not necessarily beyond.

3. Williams, Ryan (RB, ARI) – Beanie Wells suffered from a toe injury in Week 3 and is listed as questionable for Week 4. Williams carried 13 times for 83 yards and caught a pass for 12 more in Week 4. Wells hasn’t been productive in the past three weeks (29 carries for 76 yards), so Williams will be a great option moving forward even if Wells returns in the future.

4. Ball, Lance (RB, DEN) – McGahee left the game in Week 3 after a rib injury and is questionable for Week 4. Ball carried seven times for 16 yards and caught a pass for two yards meanwhile. Not necessarily great numbers, but since the Raiders have allowed the ninth most points against opponents’ running back so far, Ball should be okay in Week 4 against weaker competition.

5. Brown, Andre (RB, NYG) – Brown was mentioned in the last article and he performed exceptionally as the replacement for Bradshaw – Carried 20 times for 113 yards with two touchdowns and caught three times for 17 yards. Bradshaw will start in Week 4 but Brown has played well enough to earn some carries. Brown should be a solid option for Week 4 against the Eagles.

6. Hartline, Brian (WR, MIA) – Hartline didn’t fare so well in Week 3 (one reception for 41 yards), but he was targeted nine times. In the past three weeks, he was targeted a team-high 29 times, and one bad week is unlikely to change that focus.

7. Avery, Donnie (WR, IND) – Avery caught two passes for 28 yards but was targeted nine times in Week 3. With 40 targets, Wayne is the go-to for Andrew Luck, but Avery is definitely the number two wide receiver and a solid pick as moving forward.

8. Pitta, Dennis (TE, BAL) – Pitta caught five passes for 50 yards and a touchdown last week. He has been targeted 31 times in the past three weeks, the same amount of targets as Jimmy Graham. Since the Ravens’ passing and rushing offense have been outstanding, Pitta should be a stud moving forward.

9. Rudolph, Kyle (TE, MIN) – Rudolph caught five passes for 36 yards and two touchdowns. He isn’t likely to score twice again but has been targeted enough to be considered as a fantasy starter. He will be a decent option against a Detroit defense that has been allowed the second most points to opponents’ tight ends.

10. Bennett, Martellus (TE, NYG) – Bennett has scored in three straight games. Since Giants quarterback Eli Manning seems to be throwing more and more as the season goes on, Bennett could be an elite tight end by the end of the season.

11. Locker, Jake (QB, TEN) – Locker threw for 378 yards with two touchdowns and rushed for 35 yards against the Lions last week. The two passes to Jared Cook and Nate Washington, worth 132 yards with two touchdowns combined, were the keys for Locker’s success in Week 3. However, as the Titans earned their first victory and with Britt coming back, Locker should be okay. The upcoming matchup against the Texans isn’t favorable, but having Britt back should be encouraging.