Hunky history: Famous UW namesakes explained through Tinder bios

Some of the dreamiest guys and gals throughout UW history
Wisconsin Historical Society

Thank God Tinder introduced “super-like” just in time: Our favorite University of Wisconsin campus namesakes have made their mobile app dating debut.

Get ready to swipe — you could meet the one.

Helen C. White

Helen C. White (1896-1967) served as the English department chair, first full professor for the College of Letters and Science, owner of 23 honorary degrees, runner-up for 1934 Pulitzer Prize and was famed for her love for wearing purple.

Edwin Witte

Edwin Witte (1887-1960) was an economist at UW who focused on social insurance policy, famous for deliberating on the policies that eventually shaped the Social Security Act of 1935.

George Sellery

George Sellery (1872-1962) was a history professor and Dean of the College of Letters and Sciences, and was the president of the university for six months.

Theodore Kronshage Jr.

Theodore Kronshage Jr. (1869-1934) was an enthusiastic supporter of the university through his post college legal work. Serving on the Board of Regents, he was an influential body in university finances.

Elizabeth Waters

Elizabeth Waters (1864-1933) was a teacher and a member of the Board of Regents.

John Bascom

John Bascom (1827-1911) was a distinguished author and the president of UW for over a decade.

Herb Kohl

Herb Kohl (born 1935) graduated from UW in 1956. He was the owner of Kohl’s department stores and the Milwaukee Bucks, and Wisconsin senator from 1989-2013.

Charles Van Hise

Charles Van Hise (1857-1918) was a geologist who went on to become the president of UW. Van Hise’s book “concentration and control” influenced some of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s thinking during the initial stages of the New Deal.

Edward Burr Van Vleck

Edward Burr Van Vleck (1863-1943) was a mathematician, professor and Japanese art collector.

Edgar ‘Pop’ Gordon

Edgar Gordon (1875-1961) was a leader in mass media music education at UW, who led world-renowned community music programs.