Badgers on break: Top alternative spring break destinations

Plan the vacation of a lifetime with this list of alluring getaways
Flickr user Cheng-Yee T

Badgers and Jay-Z agree: Beach is better.

Party hotspots like Panama City Beach, Florida routinely draw thousands of collegiate vacationers with their subtropical siren’s call, promising a riotous week of Absolut-drenched tomfoolery. While many Badgers seek out these sandy carousals each spring, the idea doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Be it budget or moral objection, many students feel drawn toward other travels. Here are some secondary spring break options for the upcoming recess:

Home

Featuring amenities such as free food, complementary WiFi and your dad, little can top the exotic experience of returning to the place where you learned to use a toilet. Bask in the familiarity of your childhood bedroom and spend an enchanting week avoiding hanging out with any of your high school friends. Remember: When it comes to vacations, there’s no place like home.

Clarence, Iowa

One of the smallest cities in the state of Iowa, this potential metropolis bustles with 974 residents and features such renowned attractions like access to U.S. Highway 30 and a post office. Journey to the future capital of a vast empire to receive the terrific Clarence experience.

Your neighborhood Chili’s:

Get ready to wow your friends with bold tales of adventure from your recent trip to casual dining establishment Chili’s Grill & Bar. Will you order a small plate of boneless wings? Will you use the restroom during your visit? Will you address your server as “Grub Prince” and insist on shaking his hand? Adventure awaits in this bold spring getaway.

Grocery store

Surf’s up! Hang ten at your local supermarket in a tubular produce-based getaway. You can shred some serious gnar in the frozen meats aisle, or grab your boogie board and stand around in the dairy department. If you’re feeling particularly radical, you can even catch the surf near the bulk grains section and whisper the word “cowabunga” to other customers.

The Marines

What other vacation will give you a haircut and a gun for free? Snag a killer beach body with the fitness program at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Parris Island, South Carolina. Then, enjoy immeasurable leisure in your four years of active duty. Free food and college tuition included!