With tall boys and red Solo cups Adam Devine brings energetic boost to Madison

When Devine came on stage with a red Solo cup, the audience knew he was sure to be a good time to watch
Lexie Graf

Adam Devine’s show at the Orpheum Theater Friday night was full of a combination of leftover energy from a beautiful day, and a buzz from the tall boys being served.

The show started fashionably late, as the announcer asked, “You guys ready to party?!” Nearly every seat was filled, and the audience was eager to hear what the Workaholic was like in real life, on stage.

The show started off with upbeat opener Adam Ray. From jokes about drunken nights that featured Beefaroni to showing off his singing talents, this comedian had the audience cracking up throughout his entire set. Unlike many openers, I wanted him to stay on longer; his material was highly engaging.

When Devine came on stage with a red Solo cup, the audience knew he was sure to be a good time to watch, too.

Devine puts his entire body into his comedy with an array of over-the-top facial expressions alongside his eccentric movements. If you were just listening to recordings of his material, you would miss half of the joke. It served to enhance his live-show performance.

The Whoa Show delivers a new kind of comedy to Broom Street Theater

He kept his comedy in the moment, especially when he tried to run away from the spotlight several times during the show (kudos to the light tech for keeping up with this animated comedian).

Hearing his material made me imagine Devine as the funny guy at a bar — high energy and very loud. It worked well for him, since most of the audience is familiar with his outlandish character from “Workaholics.’

His jokes tended to resonate with the audience, which made some of his punchlines predictable. That’s not to say his set didn’t leave my cheeks hurting from a dumb grin plastered on my face the entire show. His self-deprecating humor was just enough to spark some good laughs without making you feel too bad for the guy.

Devine knows how to put on a good show and, with time, his jokes will continue to develop and mature. It is evident Devine’s standup will too, just based on how much “Workaholics” has grown in humor over the years.

After wrapping up an enjoyable show, Devine’s crew shot t-shirts into the crowd. From start to finish, Devine kept the show youthful and fun, which is definitely something everyone needs after a long week.

Fans congregated outside the Orpheum after the show to reflect on his funniest jokes, and to enjoy the unseasonably warm evening. If you’re looking for some upbeat humor to lift up your mood, Devine is your comedian. He goes beyond his TV character and offers something new for an audience to enjoy even more.