New local hip-hop talent emerges with two tracks

On two tracks, producer Bhairav shows he has potential to go far

In an already blooming landscape of local hip-hop artists, another budding artist has emerged.

His name is Bhairav, and on his two debut tracks he flaunts a sensibility for the old school and the ability to do something new, respectively.

On “Ode,” featuring local emcees Dante Lavel and Lex the Indigo Kid, Bhairav produces a beat that’s calming but also cinematic. The airy vocals, piano glissandos and background vocals provide nice space for Dante and Lex to go in lyrically, which they do, while still being interesting on its own.

The track has a hymnal quality to it, but is also icy at the same time. It makes for a refreshing mix.

On “Chilling Love,” it’s just Bhairav’s beats to fend for their own. The up-tempo, string-heavy beat is interesting in its own right, but once ethereal vocals are introduced, the track really comes together. This gives it an intellectual quality while still being catchy.

These tracks are a good start for the fledgling producer, and it will be interesting to see how he builds on them in the future.