University Theater’s ‘Magic Time’ is lighthearted entertainment

American realist play follows actors, stage manager in quest to perform ‘Hamlet’
Photo Courtesy of Ross Zentner

Those who love sitcoms like “The Big Bang Theory” will love University Theater’s newest production, an adaptation of “Magic Time.”

“Magic Time” was an American realist play that followed seven actors and one stage manager as they prepared for their last company performance of “Hamlet.”

The language of the play was simple and easy to follow. For those who prefer raw entertainment over a thought-provoking piece, “Magic Time” may have had something to offer.

But the script beat the audience over the head with its thematic messages about emotional honesty, and came dangerously close to feeling cliché.

Another weakness was delivery. Set in 1974, the actors had difficulty making the dialogue feel natural to a modern day audience. The resulting awkward hiccups took the audience out of their otherwise continuous immersion.

Despite a few flubbed lines, the actors were a delight. Male lead Jacob Guzior, who played Larry Mandell, did an excellent job of bringing his Sheldonesque character to life.

The three leading ladies were also excellent. Darby Fitzsimons and Anne Guadagnino were honest in their delivery, and heartwarming characters. Alyssa Beasley, as Joan Douglas, was a hilariously honest stage manager. Her spit-fire personality was perfectly akin to any feisty stage manager, neurotic from preventing catastrophic events on the daily.

The technical side did a remarkable job of complementing the overall tone of the play. Upon entering the theater, the set was striking. The stage was colorful and filled with memorabilia from your grandparent’s glory days. Beautiful, but authentic, the stage was a strong addition to the total performance.

Several creative special effects were present, which did little to enhance the authenticity, but made the audience laugh nevertheless. Without saying too much, it got a little wet onstage. Undergraduate Ike Yen’s sound design was also a success. Pulling from all the best hits of the ’70s, it was reminiscent of “Guardians of the Galaxy” and difficult not to want to sing along.

Despite its simplicity, “Magic Time” was an excellent play for anyone seeking some mind-numbing entertainment during finals. The play was simple, and lacked sophistication, but its characters were heartwarming overall.

“Magic Time” runs at the Hemsley Theater next weekend.