Hump Day: How to heat up national marijuana day

For novice smokers and potheads alike, here’s what you need to know
Courtesy of tumblr user thatbadcass

Whether marijuana is a rare treat or a daily habit, cannabis novices and experts alike come out to play April 20.

In honor of the stoner holiday, this week’s hump day rolled up a variety of ways to accompany coitus with cannabis. Plenty of marijuana users across the country report positive results from getting high, but not too high, and engaging in sexual activity.

As with alcohol, substance consumption complicates aspects of consent. Using marijuana as a coercive substance — as in, getting someone high to take advantage of them — invalidates the “freely given” aspect of consent. The same goes for administering weed without the knowledge of the consumer.

The big D: Dosage

Intensity and type of high depend on the amount, experience and strain. According to research, small quantities of marijuana produce minimal inhibitory effects and perhaps even improve the experience. Low doses can actually improve performance as a result of lowered inhibitions and stimulated desire. But smoke too much, and paranoia, immobility or simply feeling too high can ruin the moment. Tolerance is also key. Novice smokers may feel high after just a few puffs, but more experienced potheads are perfectly capable of clearing a water-pipe by themselves and functioning sexually.

Another aspect to consider is the type of strain. Marijuana mainly grows in two variations: indica and sativa. Indica strains produce an inactive high, which might make you want to settle into the couch rather than have sex. Sativa strains, however, produce more energizing, euphoric effects that lend themselves well to physical intimacy. Regardless of strain, keep in mind that weed affects everyone differently, and while one may find greatness, another person may feel uncomfortable.

Mary Jane methods

Celebrating 4/20 with a sweetheart also means picking a mode of consumption. Most people find pipes easiest and good for slowly working up to a high. Smoking from a bong, however, may be easier on the throat, but also makes people stoned quickly. If no one has access to glass tools, rolling up a joint is a great option as well.

Consuming weed through digestion is an entirely different ball game. One must wait about an hour for the effects of an edible to kick in. Edibles deliver a full-body high, often far more intense than smoking. In addition, smoking marijuana allows one to feel out the high and work up to it slowly — whereas edibles hit all at once.

The legalization of marijuana in some states led to the creation of other cannabis-infused products, such as weed massage oil — often referred to as “weed lube.” Unlike other water or silicone-based lubricants, cannabis oil is not latex-safe and will degrade condoms.

After using sensual cannabis oil, many women report longer-lasting sex, improved pleasure and multiple orgasms. The way it works is mucous membranes abundant in the vagina absorb THC into local cannabinoid receptors. The capillaries dilate, blood flow increases and sensitivity and sensation improve. Unlike smoking, weed massage oil does not produce head high — rather, the pleasurable sensations are localized.

Though sexy time stoners boast about the psychoactive effects of weed following toking, even the act itself can be hot. Passing a bowl back and forth feels intimate for many people. Watching smoke curl out of a lover’s mouth also looks pretty damn hot, and by leaning in and exhaling into the other person’s mouth, one can ramp up the heat further.

The best part of high sex is being stoned puts people in the moment, possibly eradicating performance anxiety. Since time appears to slow down when under the influence, sex may also feel longer. Some studies even report increased orgasms among couples who toke together.

The lows of getting high

Every substance carries its own drawbacks, and weed is no different. Though research finds positive effects on women who have high sex, studies on people with penises find that erectile dysfunction is three times as high for daily smokers. Again, weed also affects everyone differently and those with common bad experiences with the substance should know that adding sex to the equation may not produce different results.

Using marijuana to achieve sexual arousal with any regularity may create sexual problems as well. Relying on being stoned for sex can produce adverse effects once one attempts to get down and dirty without smoking.

Just like any activity incorporated into sex — be it spanking, handcuffs or pot — the experience should be approached with cautious negotiation and open communication.

Happy 4/20, folks — even if it’s just another hump day.