Dirty politics: ‘House of Cards’ returns with twists, twisted characters

Netflix original is back for fourth season with added intrigue in current events, character development
Dirty politics: House of Cards returns with twists, twisted characters
Courtesy of Tumblr user of houseofcards

Frank Underwood is back and more driven than ever to secure political power — but this time, he’s not alone.

Last Friday, Netflix released the highly anticipated fourth season of their original series “House of Cards.” Right off the bat, the show picks up directly where the third season left off, with Claire Underwood on her own and gunning for power she can claim for herself.

The first half of this season primarily focuses on the growing tension between Claire and Frank Underwood. In the past, Claire Underwood developed a constant struggle between acting as the president’s sidekick and claiming power for her own.

Throughout the fourth season, Claire Underwood finds herself acting for her best interest, instead of for her husband’s. For the first time, Claire Underwood becomes the protagonist. Her character is expanded upon, as her past is revealed and her motives become clearer. It is refreshing to see the first lady become a central character, instead of simply a pawn in Frank Underwood’s scheme.

As the viewer gets used to the tension built between the two characters, a dramatic twist once again proves to change everything, and keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.

Another interesting aspect is that the new season has been strategically worked around current events and issues that are engaging the public today.

The timely release of the fourth season was impressively planned to coincide with the current election season. Frank Underwood tries to secure his nomination for the Democratic Party, just as Democratic candidates are now. There is talk of Super Tuesday, which took place March 1. Though slightly more dramatic, the conflicts Frank Underwood faces are similar to those candidates are experiencing today.

Similarly, the season features the Islamic Caliphate Organization, or ICO, a terrorist organization with motives similar to ISIS. As ICO refuses to cooperate with Frank Underwood, the president’s patience is tested.

Another example is the show tackling the issue of gun control, as the Underwoods fight for stricter background checks among several officer-involved shootings.

The show’s ability to incorporate these issues adds a level of relatability to the show’s concept and makes it more accessible as a result.

Throughout the series, Frank Underwood’s ruthlessness and total lack of morality have been the backbone of “House of Cards,” and this still rings true for this current one. For the first time, though, the fourth season explores how this affects his personal relationships with people he may actually care about, though he hates to admit it.

Frank Underwood’s heartless, power-driven attitude seems to be untouchable, but he finds instead there is no way he can succeed without the help of his wife, who has much higher public approval than he does.

“House of Cards” once again gives a brief glimpse into the strategic and messy world of our political system and its participants. The nuances added into Frank and Claire Underwood’s relationship in addition to the interweaving of the current political climate make for an interactive and engaging season.