What’s on tap: Karben4 witnesses exponential growth with beer packaging expansion

Broadening their brand, Madison craft brewery foresees 2016 to be their year
Photo Courtesy of Flickr User Danielle Griscti

After a record breaking 2015, another local Madison craft beer maker will look to make an even bigger splash in 2016.

Karben4, a small brewery located on the east side, has grown immensely over the past several years. According to Meena Dayal, the company’s director of operations, they are showing no signs of slowing down.

“We grew exponentially in 2015,” said Dayal. “In total, we produced 6,221 barrels throughout the course of last year, which was more than double of previous years.”

The growth was in part due to the expansion of new packaging for several of the company’s brews. Idiot Farm, an imperial IPA, Lady Luck, an Irish red ale, and Block Party, an American amber, all received new packaging, popping up in stores across Madison and Milwaukee.

For 2016, Dayal said the company will be returning with a few fan favorites. They currently have Silk Scorpion out in production, a great black IPA that comes in four packs in various liquor stores around the area. But the packaging will only be in production for three more weeks, she said.

In addition to the Silk Scorpion, the company will be releasing Dragon Flute, an American Pale Ale, in bottles very soon, adding to the seasonal rotation of Karben4. In the meantime, Dayal said the focus is on the current lineup.

“Fantasy Factory, Lady Luck and Block Party are what we’re producing year-round,” she said. “Our main focus right now is making sure our brand is out there and people are enjoying what we’re currently offering.”

At the moment, distribution for Karben4 is facing partial limitation for Madison, Milwaukee and their surrounding areas. But that doesn’t mean the beer isn’t gaining traction in the market.

After a massive amount of sales in 2015, the company is optimistic for 2016. Its main goal for 2016 is clear: saturate Madison and Milwaukee markets, continue to export more packages and expand the brand while building the customer base.

Expansion to other markets could potentially happen in the near future as well. Dayal said the company has added yet another fermenter to their facilities, bringing their total to 12. And based on last year’s figures, there is little doubt these guys will continue to grow.

This week, I decided to grab a pack of Lady Luck for my review.

Karben4’s Lady Luck, Karben4 Brewing Co., Madison, Wisconsin

Style

Irish Red Ale, 7.5 percent ABV

Aroma

Sweet roasted malt notes with hints of caramel

Appearance

Deep crimson

Taste

Caramel flavors dominate the taste, with slight hints of chocolate  and sweetness that carries nicely from the nose

Room Temperature Taste

Sweetness begins to turn a little bitter as the beer begins to sit

Consensus

Karben4 has done it again. Another solid brew from a style that I personally don’t enjoy very much. Lady Luck is a pleasant surprise, and anyone who enjoys other Irish Reds, or even a porter or stout, will find enjoyment from Lady Luck.

Rating: 4.5/5