Imagine listening to David Bowie in Madison with bootleg of live performance

Recording re-surfaces of pop icon playing then current tunes at Dane County Coliseum in 1974
David Bowie performing  at Capitol Center, Washington DC,  during the same tour.
David Bowie performing at Capitol Center, Washington DC, during the same tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJACnVANV2o

The world lost one of its greatest musical and cultural figures this past weekend, as pop icon David Bowie passed away Sunday after a long battle with cancer. Bowie deeply affected many areas including music, fashion, gender and sexuality.

Madison itself is not without its own special connection to Bowie. Bowie took the stage as a part of his Diamond Dogs tour at the Dane County Coliseum Oct. 11, 1974 where he played classic track “Young Americans” for one of the first times, close to a year before the album was released.

Luckily, for Madison-based hardcore Bowie fans and newcomers alike, there is a bootleg recording of the concert available on YouTube for anyone to use to relive or to imagine being at the very concert in 1974.

As we mourn and say farewell to one of the 20th century’s greatest icons and idols, let us all play this recording and, at least for a moment, pretend we were born in the generation of University of Wisconsin students who would’ve had the opportunity to witness Bowie at his peak.