Toro y Moi keeps it professional while jamming to new music Friday night

Frontman Chazwick Bradley Bundick, opener Astronauts, etc. make chill-wave junkies beg for multiple encores at Majestic
Toro+y+Moi.+
Andrew Salewski
Toro y Moi.

Glowing blue lights paired with a psychedelic tapestry provided the perfect niche for headliner Toro y Moi and their chill-wave junkies and hip-hop enthusiast fans Friday night at the Majestic.

The crowd, already charged with excitement, began dancing as fast-paced indie rock echoed across the venue from opener Astronauts, etc. Their sweet Californian vibes left the audience in a head-bobbing disarray for Chazwick Bradley Bundick, aka Toro y Moi.

UW alum Beef takes on West Coast with poetic hip-hop

The audience repeatedly chanted “Toro!” until the lights dimmed and a robotic voice started speaking. Bundick emerged wearing both a solid white T-shirt and pants and reached for an aptly-fit white guitar.

Their opening song “Half Dome” was one of many songs the band played from their latest album, What For?

Underneath flashing strobe lights, the beat pounded through the floor while the bass player swayed back and forth. Bundick’s bare feet and apathetic facial expressions also contributed to the collective of emotions felt throughout the night.

Lana Del Rey dabbles in new sounds while getting ‘high on the beach’ in latest album

Despite their garage band-esque performance, they still maintained a professional and well-seasoned aura.

At the end of the setlist, Bundick finally spoke to the audience and introduced the band. The audience, unsatisfied with the short performance, chanted “one more song” until Toro y Moi returned rather quickly for an encore. Multicolored lights blinked above the stage as they performed an impressive cover of Unknown Mortal Orchestra’s “Multi-Love.”

‘Musical, artistic co-op’ Foshizzle Family hopes to make EDM accessible for all

Excited by the crowd’s enthusiasm, the band stayed to play yet another song from their newest album. The Majestic was lit —  both literally and figuratively — as the audience continued to dance.

After Bundick thanked Madison one last time before leaving the stage, the crowd slowly made their way out of the theater contently sipping their beers.