Bucket list: Ride the Group-X tide; make waves SERF-ing like a pro

This semester, I’m checking off the last remaining items of my University of Wisconsin bucket list. Some things I’m covering I’ve already done but think any student should give a try.

Over the past week, I decided it might be fun to attend as many fitness classes as possible at the SERF. But, like many New Year’s Resolutions that dwindle by the end of the year’s first month, so did my ambitions for my own physical health. Luckily though, I used to be in tip-top shape – and by that I mean running 10 miles a week and braving the weight room; go ahead and laugh, real runners – and can review my favorite experiences.

BUCKET LIST ITEM #2 – Become a pro SERF-er

Here, “pro” means whatever makes you feel your physically best. Apart from any cardio you participate in, here are some Group-X classes worth checking out:

LATE NIGHT YOGA

This is the perfect way to relax Thursday nights after a stressful week. And unlike a Wando’s fishbowl, it won’t make you feel like death the next day.

On my first visit, I wondered why more men weren’t present. Yoga might be a stereotypically girly form of exercise, but I struggled to think of many guys I knew who would refuse to work out next to dozens of nimble college girls aiming their butts at the ceiling. I asked my now ex-boyfriend to join me. He refused. His reasoning? “I would fart too much.” So there you have it, ladies, one less creep to look out for.

All jokes aside, the stretches and poses will make life-induced tensions evaporate. Unless, like my last time, self-consciousness becomes unbearable as
a doppelganger for a Victoria’s Secret model apologizes if “her ass is in your face.”

POWER FLOW

Described as Pilates plus yoga, this one’s a bit more intense than an hour of posing like a downward-facing dog, but not much. You’ll feel the abs workout, which always feels like victory to me .

GROUP STRENGTH

For those who want a little bit of strength training coupled with a bit of cardio action, this class is most effective when taught by badass Raquel S. Fridays at 5 p.m. The moves aren’t hard – my favorite exercises were ab moves on a BOSU – but when matched with your choice of free weights, it’s enough to break a sweat.

My biggest challenge? Sitting on my knees after one had collided with the pavement a few days earlier for the first time in three years. I thought I’d mastered winter, but my currently purplish-black knee disagrees.

To enjoy these selections and more, check out a schedule at recsports.wisc.edu – classes are free through Sunday.

What’s on your bucket list? Share your stories and ideas with Katie at [email protected].