Spend a night with ‘Oscar’

BH0304_08_09BEST PICTURE

Avatar

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

The Hurt Locker (WINNER)

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

A Serious Man

Up

Up in the Air

This year’s battle for the top prize will be a true David versus Goliath bout. On one side you have “Avatar,” the big budget 3D blockbuster from James Cameron that’s earned a record-setting domestic box office of $707 million and counting. In the other corner is the nail-biting indie war flick about defusing bombs, “The Hurt Locker,” which would become the lowest grossing Best Picture winner in history, with a domestic box office of $12.6 million. “Avatar” took home the Golden Globe, but “The Hurt Locker” ousted the Na’vi at the Producers Guild Awards, which boasts a voting base more similar to the Academy than the Globe’s Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Although both films earned nine total nominations, “The Hurt Locker” will beat out “Avatar” for the night’s biggest prize, proving that a riveting screenplay and stellar cast trump a pure visual spectacle. In a distant third is the magnificent and timely “Up in the Air.”

BEST DIRECTOR

James Cameron – Avatar

Kathryn Bigelow – The Hurt Locker (WINNER)

Quentin Tarantino – Inglourious Basterds

Lee Daniels – Precious

Jason Reitman – Up in the Air

Round two of the “Avatar” versus “The Hurt Locker” bout will pit ex-spouses James Cameron and Directors Guild Award winner Kathryn Bigelow against each other. Although the two have nothing but nice things to say about each other nowadays — Cameron has publicly said he thinks Bigelow should win — you know the man who pronounced himself “King of the World” after winning in this category 12 years ago for “Titanic” wouldn’t mind placing a second directing Oscar up on the shelf. Yet, while Cameron’s groundbreaking work took 15 years to create, it’s a lot easier to direct your cast and shots when most of it can be controlled by a computer. Therefore, Bigelow, the fourth woman ever to be nominated in this category, will become the first woman ever to win an Oscar for directing. Although they won’t win, Daniels and Reitman both have their own personal successes, becoming only the second African-American director ever nominated and the youngest person (age 32) to receive two directing nominations, respectively.

BEST ACTOR

Jeff Bridges – Crazy Heart (WINNER)

George Clooney – Up in the Air

Colin Firth – A Single Man

Morgan Freeman – Invictus

Jeremy Renner – The Hurt Locker

Proof that some things really do get better with age, this group of talented men averages out at over 53 years old. Luckily, this category won’t result in any big surprises, because a couple of the nominees’ hearts might not be able to survive the shock. Already a Golden Globe and SAG winner, five-time Oscar nominee Jeff Bridges will complete the trifecta when he takes home the Academy Award for his stirring performance as a down-and-out country singer. On the outside looking in are Clooney, who would take this award if it wasn’t for Bridges, and Firth, whose poignant portrayal of a gay professor contemplating suicide needed a bigger showcase than the independent “A Single Man” to shine. Even further out is another five-time Oscar nominee in Freeman and, at 39, the baby of the group, Renner, with his first nomination.

BEST ACTRESS

Sandra Bullock – The Blind Side (WINNER)

Helen Mirren – The Last Station

Carey Mulligan – An Education

Gabourey Sidibe – Precious

Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia

With her 16th nomination, Streep not only broke her own record for the most overall nods, but also passed up Katherine Hepburn for the most nominations in this category with 13. Not bad at all for a woman turning 61 this June. However, Streep hasn’t actually won an Oscar since her leading role in “Sophie’s Choice” 27 years ago. Unfortunately, it’s going to take at least one more year before Streep and Oscar reunite. While Streep’s dynamic portrayal of a cooking legend was the better performance, there’s just too much buzz surrounding Bullock. A surprise nominee at the Golden Globes, Bullock not only won for Best Actress, but also followed up her success with a SAG award as well. There’s also the fact that this is the veteran actress’ first ever nomination. With everything going her way, Bullock will be a tough act for Streep to beat and even tougher for past winner Mirren and the indie fresh faces of Sidibe and Mulligan.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Matt Damon – Invictus

Woody Harrelson – The Messenger

Christopher Plummer – The Last Station

Stanley Tucci – The Lovely Bones

Christoph Waltz – Inglourious Basterds (WINNER)

To think, Tarantino originally sought out Leonardo DiCaprio to play the role of Hans Landa. Sure, DiCaprio is a fantastic actor, but it’s impossible to imagine anybody else playing “The Jew Hunter” after watching Waltz take on the role with such terrifying charm. There’s absolutely no question the quadrilingual Austrian actor, who has taken home nearly every award possible, will finish off the season with an Oscar to call his own. Although a win is damn near impossible at this point, veteran actors Tucci and the 80-year-old Plummer should both take condolence in earning their first ever Academy Award nominations in their long, illustrious cinematic careers. Past winners Harrelson and Damon, who both earned their first nods since 1997, were brilliant as well, but this battle was all Hans Landa from the start.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Pen?lope Cruz – Nine

Vera Farmiga – Up in the Air

Maggie Gyllenhaal – Crazy Heart

Anna Kendrick – Up in the Air

Mo’Nique – Precious (WINNER)

If there’s anything more predictable than Waltz’s win for Best Supporting Actor, its Mo’Nique’s win in this category. The stand-up comedian and TV host went completely outside of her comfort zone for her harrowing performance as an abusive New York City mother. A first time nominee, Mo’Nique has dominated the pre-Oscar awards season much in the same way Waltz has swept his category. Rounding out the runner-up slots are the beautiful and talented ladies of “Up in the Air,” Kendrick and Farmiga, Gyllenhaal as the single mom and journalist who falls for Bridge’s troubled character and Cruz, who doesn’t quite belong in this group of award-worthy performances for her rather mediocre performance in the musical flop “Nine.” But, hey, you got to find someone to fill that fifth spot, right? Why not someone who won this category last year?

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Mark Boal – The Hurt Locker (WINNER)

Alessandro Camon and Oren Moverman – The Messenger

Joel and Ethan Coen – A Serious Man

Bob Peterson, Pete Docter and Tom McCarthy – Up

This one’s a tug-a-war between Boal and Tarantino. The Academy has been willing to accept the cult bloody goodness that saturates Tarantino’s screenplays — they awarded him the Oscar in this category in 1995 for “Pulp Fiction.” But in a battle of two war scripts, which of the two are voters more likely to side with? On one side of the rope you have a gritty, realistic, timely Iraq thriller from first-time nominee Boal. Pulling back on the other side you have a sensational, blatantly inaccurate, semi-historical WWII flick from past winner Tarantino. “Inglourious Basterds” lives and dies on its eccentric dialogue and unique, nonlinear storyline, while “The Hurt Locker” is an exhilarating story that doesn’t rely so much on words as it does sight. Therefore, “Basterds” is the better choice, but judging by Boal’s win at the Writers Guild Awards and the film’s hype, “The Hurt Locker” is going to squeak by with the Oscar.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell – District 9

Nick Hornby – An Education

Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche – In the Loop

Geoffrey Fletcher – Precious

Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner – Up in the Air (WINNER)

Although Reitman won’t pick up an Oscar for his other two nominations this year, he won’t be going home empty-handed at the end of the night. Having already won big at the Writers Guild Awards and the Golden Globes, which doesn’t split the screenplay category, meaning “Up in the Air” even defeated the solid scripts of “Inglourious Basterds” and “The Hurt Locker,” Reitman will get his first statuette with a win in this category. That will make it two straight films with Oscar-winning screenplays for Reitman, who watched Diablo Cody take the prize in 2007 for “Juno.” Fletcher’s adaptation of the 1996 bestselling novel “Push” by Sapphire is just as beautiful and unsettling as the book, but it’s still a distant second to Reitman and Turner’s “Up in the Air.” As for the remaining three screenplays, they don’t even come close, though, Blomkamp and Tatchell’s sci-fi script is a pleasant surprise in this category.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Coraline

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Princess and the Frog

The Secret of Kells

Up (WINNER)

Despite boasting perhaps the best all-around group of nominees in this category’s short history, this race was over before it started. As has become the standard for Pixar films, “Up” will soar away with the animation giant’s fifth Oscar in this category. Not a bad consolation prize for failing to become the first animated film to win Best Picture after becoming only the second to be nominated — to be fair, though, all other animated flicks had only five chances, while “Up” had ten. However, Pixar did face some tough competition this year. The studio’s parent company, Walt Disney, returned to its former animation glory with the musically captivating “The Princess and the Frog” and Henry Selick’s “Coraline” and Wes Anderson’s “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” with the latter two making perfect use of spellbinding stop-motion to mesmerize audiences of all ages.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Burma VJ

The Cove (WINNER)

Food, Inc.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province (WINNER)

The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner

The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant

Music by Prudence

Rabbit ? la Berlin

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Ajami – Israel

The Milk of Sorrow – Peru

Un Proph?te – France

El Secreto de Sus Ojos – Argentina

The White Ribbon – Germany (WINNER)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Avatar (WINNER)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

The White Ribbon

ART DIRECTION

Avatar

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (WINNER)

Nine

Sherlock Holmes

The Young Victoria

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

French Roast

Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty

The Lady and the Reaper

Logorama

A Matter of Loaf and Death (WINNER)

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

The Door (WINNER)

Instead of Abracadabra

Kavi

Miracle Fish

The New Tenants

VISUAL EFFECTS

Avatar (WINNER)

District 9

Star Trek

COSTUME DESIGN

Bright Star

Coco Before Chanel

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Nine

The Young Victoria (WINNER)

FILM EDITING

Avatar

District 9

The Hurt Locker (WINNER)

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

SOUND MIXING

Avatar (WINNER)

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Star Trek

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

SOUND EDITING

Avatar (WINNER)

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Star Trek

Up

ORIGINAL SCORE

Avatar

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Hurt Locker

Sherlock Holmes

Up (WINNER)

ORIGINAL SONG

Almost There by Randy Newman – The Princess and the Frog

Down in New Orleans by Randy Newman – The Princess and the Frog

Loin de Paname by Reinhardt Wagner and Frank Thomas – Paris 36

Take it All by Maury Yeston – Nine

The Weary Kind by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett – Crazy Heart (WINNER)

BEST MAKEUP

Il Divo

Star Trek (WINNER)

The Young Victoria