Sophomore album from popular country group ‘Needs’ little work

lady_antebellum
Although Need You Now has several radio-friendly songs, a few tunes are lacking in originality.[/media-credit]

“Need You Now” sounds like it can only have one meaning, but according to Lady Antebellum, Need You Now — which is the title of their new album and single — has two meanings. When considering the single, we’re talking about calling an ex, when one is lonely and drunk at one in the morning. The second meaning, however, has to do with fans “needing more” after the group’s debut album from 2008. And judging by the result of Lady Antebellum’s latest effort, they’ll be largely satisfied.

Lady Antebellum formed in 2006 in Nashville and consists of Charles Kelley (lead and background vocals), Dave Haywood (background vocals, guitar, piano, mandolin) and Hillary Scott (lead and background vocals). Need You Now, the group’s sophomore album, already has two No. 1 singles, which is easy to understand when Lady Antebellum’s beautifully strong, clear and unique voices come into play.

The members of Lady Antebellum wrote eight out of the 11 songs on Need You Now and it shows with their personal, emotional and unique songs that make use of unique combinations of mandolin, tambourine, guitar and piano.

While the band is clearly blessed with a ridiculous amount of talent as well as gorgeous voices, the singles they have are singles for a reason.

Although each song has its strengths, the album as a whole doesn’t live up to the singles, specifically the title track.

“If I Knew Then” and “Something ‘Bout a Woman” are two songs that are sure to catch a lot of attention. “If I Knew Then” stands out with a beautiful slow and soft duet from Kelley and Scott, which is accentuated by a strong piano in the background.

“Something ‘Bout a Woman” describes the wonders of a woman in a T-shirt without makeup, as well as what happens when she puts on a red dress, complete with some real country twang that is in no way over the top.

One song sure to make a radio appearance is “Our Kind of Love.” It opens with a creative and fun piano intro that carries on into the rest of the song, highlighting the uplifting lyrics and occasional tambourine to create an overall feel-good song.

“Hello World” has the potential to be a big hit. Heartfelt lyrics describe a man who is doing some soul searching and realizes what is really important in his life — a little girl, waving, with chocolate on her face. As the song puts it: “Empty disappears/ I remember why I am here.”

“Stars Tonight” is very reminiscent of the Rascal Flatts’ “Here’s to You” in that it’s a lets-hype-up-the-crowd concert song. This song is just a little too similar for comfort and is really out of place on their album. Overall, it could have been a much better song had Lady Antebellum substituted the chorus of “yeah, yeah, yeah” with something a little more…. creative.

All of the songs have the capability of being on the radio but probably wouldn’t create as big of a ripple as “Need You Now.” With the relatable lyrics and message, catchy instrumentals and overall can’t-stop-humming-the-tune, their first single is definitely the best on the album.

At 2009’s CMA’s, Lady Antebellum won the award for Vocal Group of the Year, a prize Rascal Flatts have taken home for the past six years. If Lady Antebellum can rival Rascal Flatts, they must have their game faces on, ready and prepared to win the hearts of all.

3 1/2 stars out of 5.