Undersea creatures take control of Jane Austen’s classic tale

Everyone, at some point in his or her life, has had to read some dusty old book that talks in endless circles of monotonous prose. Not to say reading is inherently boring, but occasionally literature needs a helping hand…or tentacle.

In his new novel, “Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters,” Ben H. Winters parodies Jane Austen’s classic, “Sense and Sensibility.” Following “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” by Seth Grahame-Smith, “Sea Monsters” offers far more than Austen ever could have imagined. Malevolent beasts, undersea civilizations and Austen’s patented romantic antics — these are just a few of the themes Winters touches on in his new book.

The struggle between emotion and logic has been addressed in countless novels and is a long-running theme in contemporary fiction. Although “Sea Monsters” focuses on the metaphoric dialogue between the two styles of thinking, it successfully avoids Austen’s overly flowery language. While still maintaining an eloquent writing style, Winters manages to put his own spin on the old classic. Throwing a touch of dark comedy into the mix, he brings the focus to the absurdity of social trivialities — from small talk etiquette to how one politely declines a call from a half-man/half-monster, Winters leaves no shell unturned.

Elinor Dashwood, representative of the logical side of the debate, is the oldest of three sisters. She prides herself on a wide range of knowledge in many fields — most notably, the categorization and identification of wild beasts. Much of the novel is told from her point of view, although it is difficult to ever truly know what she feels deep inside; her love of logic keeps her from seeing even her own true emotions. When it comes to her relationship with Edward Ferrars, an acquaintance who is equally aloof, Elinor’s feelings are even harder to distinguish.

Marianne Dashwood, on the other hand, is completely and utterly led by her emotions. She is initially courted by a tentacled Colonel Brandon — but instead falls head over heels for John Willoughby, a family friend who seems equally besotted with her. Everything seems perfect, and the family talks of an engagement in the works. Of course, as with all of Austen’s literature, the tables turn upside down just in time for even the logical Elinor to acknowledge their love.

Occasionally, as is the case with many re-imaginings, certain themes can be run into the ground through overuse. Illustrating this negative is Sir John, a family friend who hosts the Dashwood family on numerous occasions. A swashbuckling sort, he entertains the family with stories of sea battles and enigmatic theories about the Alteration, “when the waters of the world grew cold and hateful to the sons of man, and darkness moved on the face of the deep.” His character, while offering the occasional comedic relief, has almost nothing to offer aside from tall tales and a luxurious place to stay.

Also disappointing is Margaret Dashwood, the youngest sister, whose pitiful character serves little to no purpose except to titillate the readers with supposed hallucinations about the island’s mysterious inhabitants. Adding to the suspense of the story, and hinting at the unspeakable horrors that undoubtedly await the Dashwoods and their friends, Margaret has little to offer. In truth, the suspense does indeed pay off with an absolutely fantastic climax — but her part is relatively nonexistent until the end. In Austen’s novel, the characters are far more fleshed out.

Speaking of flesh, be warned: This book is quite graphic when it comes to violence and gore. There is a bloody lobster massacre, a fatal hammerhead shark attack, an assault by the Devonshire Fang-Beast and much, much more. For all its use of comic relief, “Sea Monsters” is not to be taken lightly. Instead, it must be devoured — preferably, in one sitting.

4 stars out of 5.