Band’s knack for hits not ‘Ending’

There was something missing from Dashboard Confessional’s last album, The Shade of Poison Trees. Yes, there were a handful of pleasant acoustic songs, but it wasn’t quite what most fans were hoping for. Luckily, that missing piece comes in the form of the band’s sixth album, Alter the Ending, in which Dashboard returns to the kind of music that brought them success with “Stolen” and “Vindicated” from their 2006 release, Dusk and Summer.

In other words, Alter the Ending is what fans have been waiting for.

Compared to the acoustic and low-key feel of The Shade of Poison Trees, Alter the Ending delivers much more of a rock-based feel, while maintaining the classic Dashboard sound. The rock elements to the album help to move the band’s sound a bit more into the mainstream, but they manage to never stray too far from their original identity.

The profound and expressive lyrics crooned by frontman Chris Carrabba demonstrate his growing musical maturity and ability to perform in both the acoustic selections (“Even Now”) and those much more instrument-driven (“Until Morning”).

Carrabba is known for penning metaphoric ballads that could easily pass as poetry, and there is no shortage of such songs on Alter the Ending. “Everybody Learns from Disaster” is one such poem in disguise, bearing rhythmic and meaningful lyrics: “We went rolling up the coast/ Till there was no more coast to wander/ We tried every different road/ Just to see which led us further/ We were living on the run/ Though there was no one chasing after/ We were looking out for love/ And we were flirting with disaster.” The lyrics and perfect balance between Carrabba’s voice and the instrumentals guide “Everybody Learns from Disaster” to becoming one of the highlights of the album.

“Belle of the Boulevard” is this album’s catchy and melodic single, comparable to Dusk and Summer‘s “Stolen.” But despite its quicker pace and almost bouncy feeling, the lyrics are heavy and quite dark. This contrast, however, is what makes it memorable.

Another notable aspect of Dashboard’s album is the balance the band achieves by including a variety of both slow and fast songs that range from near acoustic to quite instrument-heavy. In addition, songs like “Hell on the Throat” are softer and more serene, which contrast with selections much more lively and dynamic, such as “The Motions.”

But for all its high points, avid Dashboard listeners might be thinking that there is still something that could make this album even better. And they would be right. The only missing component from Alter the Ending is a song or two with the same distinct feel of The Shade of Poison Trees — a record that is much more mellow and acoustic-heavy in the way only Dashboard Confessional can pull off.

Thus, the recipe for the perfect album would be a combination of the sound heard in both Alter the Ending and The Shade of Poison Trees, which would highlight the various talents of Chris Carrabba and his band, as well as create a complementary album every Dashboard enthusiast would enjoy.

Nonetheless, after a two-year hiatus, Carrabba and Co. will be welcomed back with open arms with the excellent Alter the Ending. The evocative lyrics and energetic melodies are sure to please fans and leave them praying this isn’t the “Ending” of Dashboard Confessional.

4 stars out of 5.