‘Sounds’ takes look back at underground’s recent past

This week, I’m turning back the clock and looking at a few “older” releases. If you don’t like it, tough. I look forward to reading your comments online.

Hopesfall

Magnetic North

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

Although the five-piece traded a good deal of frontman Jay Forrest’s screaming for his cracking, emotional singing long before Magnetic North, the band didn’t check all of their post-hardcore roots at the door. Driven by Joshua Brigham and Dustin Nadler’s phenomenal guitar work, Hopesfall’s fourth full-length studio album is a guitar junkie’s dream. What proved to be the group’s last effort before disbanding last year culminated in their most polished sounding record, refining much of the songwriting and musical territory explored by 2004’s breakout release, A Types.

Trophy Scars

Bad Luck

Grade: 1 1/2 stars

For better or worse, some bands stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks to vocalist Jerry Jones’ odd conglomeration of shrieking and croaking, New Jersey’s Trophy Scars is no stranger to doing just that. On their third release, the band continues down its path into the experimental, churning out innovative, genre-blending tunes with touches of punk, indie and even blues. The concept album tells the story of the fictitious Anna Lucia, and each track features unique orchestration that makes for an interesting listen. However, Jones is at his best when he is simply singing, and if you can get past his oftentimes irritating crooning, Bad Luck merits a spin — albeit a short one.

Anberlin

New Surrender

Grade: 3 stars

The alternative rockers from aptly named Winter Haven, Fla., started a new chapter in their musical careers when they severed ties with the small, Christian record label Tooth & Nail after four years and signed on with Universal Republic in 2007. Featuring the restrained vocals and fine-tuned instrumentals, New Surrender is your basic, radio-friendly rock album in every sense of the phrase. The group worked with acclaimed producer Neal Avron (Fall Out Boy, New Found Glory), and the subsequent 12-track CD pulls no punches and delivers what Anberlin fans have come to know and expect: heartfelt lyrics and good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll. New Surrender isn’t an exceptionally memorable or novel record, but it’s good enough to win Anberlin some new fans.

Envy On The Coast

Lucy Gray

Grade: 2 1/2 stars

On first listen, Lucy Gray appears to pick up right where the group’s 2006 self-titled EP left off, and then some. The distinct, dynamic vocals provided by lead singer Ryan Hunter give each song on the 12-track LP its own subtle flair and can be likened to those of fellow Long Islander Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw, Head Automatica). However, Lucy Gray‘s initial intensity quickly wears off with the agonizingly slow “Starving Your Friends” and “Lapse.” The decision to incorporate back-to-back ballads was a poor one, and the album never seems to recover, leaving the listener wondering what happened after such a promising start.

Broadway

Kingdoms

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

Although the Orlando outfit may be a few years late to the post-hardcore scene, the tracks you’ll find on their debut more than make up for their tardiness. Kingdoms has just about everything you could ever want in a screamo band — wailing guitars (with the occasional metal breakdown), sound drumming and standout vocals. Lead singer Misha Camacho switches between incredibly high notes and low growls with perfect fluency, following in the steps of groups like Pierce The Veil, Dance Gavin Dance and A Skylit Drive. Regardless of their familiarity, Broadway knows what they’re doing, and they do it well.