This Providence, Memphis May Fire worth several listens

This week’s column runs the gamut of alternative music, featuring an array of artists whose sounds include just about anything your musical palate desires from “crunkcore” to post-hardcore and everything in between. Bon app?tit.

This Providence

Who Are You Now?

Grade: 4 stars

I’ve never seen an episode of “The O.C.,” but from what I’ve heard, Who Are You Now? would make the perfect soundtrack. The Seattle sweethearts’ third full-length album explores heartbreak, and their signature indie-soft rock sentimentalities are apparent on every track. After several listens, I found songs like “Squeaking Wheels And White Light,” “Selfish” and “That Girl’s A Trick” permanently lodged in my brain. Regardless of your opinions on “The O.C.” or relative indifference, This Providence is well worth a listen.

Breathe Carolina

Hello Fascination

Grade: 2 1/2 stars

After accumulating a sizeable MySpace following, Breathe Carolina has become largely synonymous with the “crunkcore” genre. Kyle Even’s screaming backup vocals on the Denver duo’s first studio release, It’s Classy, Not Classic, fit seamlessly into the group’s unique eletronica-screamo sound and serve as a surprising compliment to David Schmitt’s sexually-charged melodies. However, that’s simply not the case this time around. Even’s screaming is oftentimes disruptive and otherwise ruins what would have been some decent tracks.

Memphis May Fire

Sleepwalking

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

A delicious blend of Southern rock and punk, Memphis May Fire’s debut results in a mature effort that has the swagger of a veteran band more like Every Time I Die than a group fairly new to the post-hardcore scene. Featuring brutal vocals from replacement frontman Matt Mullins, heavy yet melodic guitar riffs and driving drums, the Texas quintet pulls off a remarkably memorable 10-track album.

Racing Kites

Be My Runaway EP

Grade: 1 1/2 stars

In an industry filled with cookie-cutter, pop-punk acts, young bands essentially have two options if they want to leave their mark on the music scene: bring something fresh to the table or perfect the formula everyone else has been using. In the New Jersey five-piece’s unfortunate case, they do neither. Racing Kites does little to separate their sugarcoated power-pop from that of their predecessors and they end up retreading the heavily-worn path of suburban punk. The result is a five-track EP that is average at best.

The Downtown Fiction

The Downtown Fiction EP

Grade: 2 stars

Although the unsigned Fairfax, Va., trio certainly won’t revolutionize the pop-punk genre anytime soon, they have the potential to reach the airwaves in the near future. Their self-titled, six-track EP contains a few slightly above-average songs — “Your Voice” and “No Typical Thursday Night” come to mind — and it’s hard to deny lead singer Cameron Leahy’s appeal. However, if you’re listening to your music collection on shuffle, TDF won’t cause you to stop and check whom you’re listening to.

Joe Pfister is a senior majoring in English and political science. Have something to say about the punk/alternative universe? E-mail him at [email protected].