‘Sunday,’ ‘Rescue’ worth listening to

Although my last column wound up being a little controversial (take a look at it online to see what I mean), this week we’ll be going back to the basics by looking at some of the scene’s latest punk/alternative albums to check out.

Taking Back Sunday

New Again

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

Admittedly, my expectations were exceedingly low after 2006’s Louder Now, but Adam Lazzara and the rest of TBS managed to produce a largely respectable record on their latest attempt. A majority of the tracks on New Again are reminiscent of the group’s exceptional sophomore release, Where You Want To Be, even with the loss of guitarist and backup vocalist Fred Mascherino. Although their latest release isn’t exactly avant-garde, Taking Back Sunday has breathed new life into their sound.

The Cab

Whisper War

Grade: 4 stars

With vocals that could have been lifted straight off a Maroon 5 CD and the kind of overly pop-y sound that will send you back to the days of boy bands, The Cab caught me by surprise. Despite their age and inexperience (the group was signed only a year and a half after they formed), the Las Vegas youngsters put together a mostly solid record with surprising variety and staying power. Besides, it doesn’t hurt to have Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump and Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco on your debut album’s opening track.

The Gaslight Anthem

The ’59 Sound

Grade: 3 stars

A recent excursion outside Hot Topic turned up New Jersey’s highly acclaimed folk-punk quartet The Gaslight Anthem, a group whose central influences include Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty. The group’s other-era vibe is present throughout The ’59 Sound, and the soulful 12-track effort manages to both surprise and delight while almost convincing you you’ve taken a step back in time.

Sparks The Rescue

Eyes To The Sun

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

With their first full-length release, Sparks The Rescue’s transition from screamo-pop to pop-punk achieves some initial success. Unfortunately, following such radio-friendly ditties as “My Heart Radio,” “Pine Tree State” and “Hello Mexico,” the second half of Eyes To The Sun is filled with several monotonous, mostly forgettable tracks. The album closes on a high note, however, with “The Gravity,” as well as a non-screaming remake of “Saco Boys Have No Class” from their 2007 EP, The Secrets We Can’t Keep.

Let’s Get It

Digital Spaces EP

Grade: 1 1/2 stars

For better or worse, you can think of Let’s Get It as a Myspace version of Panic! At The Disco, oozing with overwrought synthesizers and blatantly suggestive lyrics aimed at giddy, 14-year-old girls. The unfortunate news is Let’s Get It lacks the originality and talent of a band like Panic!, and the result is the group’s six-track EP feels more like a bad knock-off than anything else. The group has the most success when they blend numerous genres and come up with a sound all their own, but it isn’t enough to save Digital Spaces.

Joe Pfister is a senior majoring in English and political science. Want to talk music? E-mail him at [email protected].