Movie looks ‘tasty’ in 3-D

Ever wonder what it would be like if food fell from the sky? If ice cream, cheeseburgers and steak all rained down on the world, it would be awesome, wouldn’t it? In “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” the new film from Sony Pictures Animation, the inventor of a machine that causes food to fall from the sky discovers the consequences of such actions.

The movie takes place in Swallow Falls, an island famous for sardines. Unfortunately, the world discovers sardines are “totally gross,” and Swallow Falls is stuck with them as their primary food source. The film’s main character, Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader, “Year One”), has wanted to be an inventor since childhood. One day, Flint invents a machine to turn water into food by genetically mutating it, but, due to his clumsiness, the machine ends up in the atmosphere and food starts raining from the sky.

The animation was also phenomenal. Everything from Flint’s messy hair sticking up in multiple directions to his father’s one eyebrow gave the characters something that stood out. Anytime food was falling from the sky, it was breathtaking to view and, for a while, the audience wanted to be there to take part in the appetizing meal. One of the most exciting scenes in the film was when it snowed ice cream; the story used it in a great way with ice cream snowball fights and kids eating away snowmen.

The 3-D made the animation even better, and the reactions from the audience were priceless anytime something was “popping” out. The best part about the extra dimension was the fact it didn’t need to rely on silly gags where things need to be created to fit.

The casting was also wonderfully done. Flint’s voice couldn’t have been suited by anyone other than Bill Hader, and he really brought out Flint’s awkwardness. Anna Faris (“Observe and Report”) also delivered the necessary spunk and pep to voice meteorologist Sam Sparks. The supporting cast was also perfectly suited for their roles. This includes Andy Samberg (“I Love You, Man”) as “Baby” Brent, Bruce Campbell (TV’s “Burn Notice”) as Mayor Shelbourne and Mr. T (“Not Another Teen Movie”) as Police Officer Earl. Not only did the voices fit the characters so perfectly that it gave them realistic personalities but it also added the humor element in how their lines were delivered.

Although the film was entertaining and humorous, it did go overboard at times. One example comes toward the end when the food starts having a mind of its own; it was a bit too cartoon-y at some points. Another problem was the “ick” factor. For most of the movie, the food is appetizing and this fantasy world looks delicious. However, toward the end, it starts to look revolting. This is obviously supposed to prove a point, but this effect could have been achieved in a different way.

Despite these shortcomings, the film still soars, and these few issues don’t seem so terrible. “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” really has something for people of all ages. There’s cute, silly humor for the kids and some lines that are put in just for adults. In other words, it is definitely a tasty time at the movies.

4 stars out of 5.