Rock duo to come to town

Everyone knows that a live show should have three things: a great sound, interaction with the audience and energy. In their co-headlining tour, Carbon Leaf and Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers are sure to go above and beyond these expectations at Sunday’s show at the Majestic Theatre. Barry Privett, Carbon Leaf’s lead vocalist and guitarist, shared his thoughts with The Badger Herald about how the idea of touring with The Sixers came to life.

“We played a show in New York City on our last tour and they came out and were hanging out and we kind of discussed doing a joint tour for the fall … so we just decided to go for it and see what happens. So, that’s the new adventure we’re on now,” Privett said. “It’s cool to do things like that from time to time and offer up something a little different for fans and really try to get in front of new fans, and get in front of his fans and he get in front of ours. Cross-pollinate a little bit.”

Not very familiar with Carbon Leaf? Privett has his own views on Carbon Leaf’s sound and who it might appeal to.

“We’re kind of rooted in some of the more organic stuff, but it’s a rock band that likes to do anything,” Privett began. “We just try to write and play good music and have some good energy and kind of a positive vibe.”

And how does he think their sound compares to that of Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers?

“(Our music is) similar in spirit and tone, and even stylistically. There’s definitely a kindred spirit there in terms of playing, the instrument choices and just some of the subject matter. But yet, there’s still a distinct difference. I’m not really sure exactly how to describe that,” he said. “But we both do it for the love of performing and connecting with the audience. That’s kind of the thing that gets us. Neither bands gets on the stage and kind of stares at their shoes, you know?”

Whether you’re a Carbon Leaf fan or a Sixers fan, you will hear new material from both bands Sunday. Carbon Leaf released Nothing Rhymes with Woman in May, and Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers released The Bear last Tuesday. When asked how much new material fans should expect to hear at Sunday’s show, Privett explained that it changes with each location.

“For us it’s going to kind of be different each night, and when we go back to a certain city, we’ll look at the set list that we made that we played …. we’ll make sure it’s different,” he said.

In addition to the changing flow of concert material, Privett discussed what audiences should expect at the show.

“A pretty big mix,” he said. “We don’t do the whole new album just because it’s new. We like to definitely kind of honor some of the fan favorites but try to also offer new stuff and kind of keep drawing on the performance side.”

And they will definitely be offering some new stuff Sunday. At the end of their first show in Ann Arbor, Mich., the two bands squeezed onto the tiny stage to play a couple of songs together. According to Privett, this went over really well with the crowd, and he thinks they will end shows together for a majority of the tour.

“It was fun last night. The stage was pretty small, but we got everybody up there, so we’re doing some songs together,” Privett said.

Privett isn’t new to Madison; in the past, he played a sold-out show at the Majestic, and he hopes this weekend’s show will be just as successful.

“Just come to the show and have a good time. It’s going to be great, and the Majestic is such a beautiful theater. Just come out and see the two bands play on stage for a few hours.”

Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers and Carbon Leaf will be co-headlining at the Majestic Theatre Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Toby Lightman is opening. Advanced tickets are $18.