‘Gamer’ Over: Violent film huge loser

As Marilyn Manson’s gritty rendition of “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” jump-started Gerard Butler’s latest dick flick, “Gamer” looked like it might actually have some promise. With an intense opening sequence revealing the future’s hottest video game, where players are able to control an actual human in the ultimate combat experience, the inventive cinematography alone was enough to rouse chills. However, despite Butler’s reprised role as the BAMF with a sensitive side — think “300” minus the skirt and beard — the directing team of Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (“Crank,” “Crank: High Voltage”) ultimately got too caught up with graphics, sex and violence, letting their plot flounder in the process.

Not to say this movie was not engaging or entertaining, even for a chick — it was simply unfortunate to see the film’s fascinating concept go to waste on unnecessary amounts of sexuality and the constant reminder that we’re in a brave new world where technology and reality intermingle.

“Gamer” takes place in “the near future,” where virtual reality has reached disturbing new heights. This disturbing future allows society to lose itself in the ultimate “Sims” experience, where anything goes and there are no consequences. The latest online phenomenon, attracting millions of viewers worldwide, is “Slayers,” a game that follows death row inmates as they try to survive 30 hardcore battles in exchange for their freedom, which is controlled completely by players in the outside world. Butler (“The Ugly Truth”) plays the star player of “Slayers,” whose record of 27 epic wins has astounded the nation as it roots for him to win his final three battles.

As we have seen from Neveldine and Taylor’s directorial history, their strengths definitely lie in adrenaline pumping imagery and a knack for heart-pounding cinematography. At the film’s start, it seemed as though this pair really nailed the dark vibe of the film with quick close ups, strategic slow motion sequences and a sharp, grainy color scheme. But after about 30 minutes, the strobe lighting, abrupt scene changes and distracting shots that skipped like a broken record merely began to induce a migraine instead of action and suspense.

As a silent warrior, Butler hardly has any lines to make his character likable. Yet, based off the reaction of his fans and in comparison to the lunatics he’s surrounded by, he’s moderately relatable. And as soon as John Leguizamo (“Righteous Kill”) sat down next to Butler, muttering some crazy talk, the movie was given a jolt of quality. Other star players such as Kyra Sedgwick (TV’s “The Closer”), Michael C. Hall (TV’s “Dexter”) and Alison Lohman (“Drag Me to Hell”), add some sparkle and shine to an otherwise disorganized bloodbath, offering a slight incentive to keep paying attention.

But Neveldine and Taylor did not make it easy. Despite any initial fascination with the storyline and exciting visuals, all plot and organization went completely out the window as Butler’s desperation for freedom became more intense. With a side plot where his lovely wife (Amber Valletta, “Transporter 2”) played puppet to an obese man’s disturbing sexual and violent desires through his “Sims” character, it became difficult to stop, recover and return back to Butler’s storyline. The future portrayed in “Gamer” depicts a society in which violence, sex and money are not only obsessions, but also twisted turn-ons. It’s difficult to imagine the entire world turning into masochistic sex fiends within the next 100 years, but this is what this film’s futuristic wasteland suggests.

Overall, “Gamer” started out with potential — a solid crew of actors, an intriguing storyline and stunning visuals. After only 20 minutes, however, you’ll be cringing at the intense morbidity, rubbing your temples and wondering, “Seriously, where is this going?” For a movie that is only a short hour and a half in length, it seems to last far longer. So boys, go ahead. It’s a given that you’ll be buying your tickets and loving every second of watching dudes get completely pwned and obliterated. As for ladies, if you end up at this movie for some godforsaken reason, at least Gerard Butler’s got good arms.

1 1/2 stars out of 5.