‘High Voltage’ delivers gigawatts of entertainment

After watching the trailer for “Crank: High Voltage,” one might wonder if a sequel can be made if the main character falls out of a helicopter and presumably dies at the end of the first film. In the “Crank” universe, this question would be met with a glib remark and someone getting killed. Technically speaking, there was a flicker in the eyes of Chev Chelious (Jason Statham, “Transporter 3”) at the end of the 2006 “Crank.”

“Crank: High Voltage” begins immediately where the first one ended. Chev gets scooped up off the street and rushed to a triad lair. The triads remove Chev’s indestructible heart and give him a plastic artificial one that runs on batteries. The triads are preparing to harvest other organs from their prisoner until Chev wakes up and escapes, killing everyone. Unfortunately for Chev in the course of events he destroys the external battery. His heart is now functioning on an internal back-up battery that only gives him an hour to live. To charge that battery, he needs to have his skin contact anything electric, or generate electric charge by friction.

Chev is determined to get his heart back so he follows triad gangster Johnny Vang (Art Hsu, “Love 10 to 1”) throughout Los Angeles. His exploits bring him in contact with several characters from the first film including his love interest, Eve (Amy Smart, “Love N’ Dancing”) as well as newcomer to the series, Ria (Bai Ling, “Dim Sum Funeral”). Ultimately Chev uncovers a larger underworld plot and finding his “strawberry tart” proves much harder than anyone would figure.

“Crank: High Voltage” joins its predecessor as one of the better, and most ridiculous, over-the-top action films that crosses over into the comedic genre. Other films in this would include “Kill Bill Vol. 1” and “Kung Fu Hustle.” What separates “Crank” is its chaotic, video-game style direction and editing. Quentin Tarantino’s “Kill Bill” pays homage to Hong Kong cinema, and “Kung Fu Hustle” has outstanding martial arts skills interwoven with comedy. “Crank” however is not even attempting to be taken seriously. Writing and directing duo Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor bask in their campy creativeness, while other filmmakers would try and avoid this at all costs.

The one reservation that comes with this film is its heavy violence, offensivenes and at times, grossness. For instance, in one scene Chev empties an entire clip from a micro-Uzi into just one person. Since the antagonists are Asian and Latin gangs going after Chev, there are more than a few racial slurs. Throw in several garden-variety slurs (i.e. cursing and a derogatory term for homosexuals) and there is suddenly a potpourri of insults that could easily leave a more sensitive patron disgusted. One act of self-mutilation in this film is so off-putting that it will have everyone squirming in their chairs.

Fans of the first will not be disappointed, as “High Voltage” is even more outlandish than the first “Crank”. Those who missed “Crank” but are intrigued can easily go and not miss a beat. In fact, everything important from the first is shown in flashback or mentioned in dialogue. This is quite amusing because the plots of both are so thin a rehashing of the first is not needed. There is also a treasure trove of Easter eggs during the credits, so don’t you dare leave the theater when it fades to black.

4 1/2 stars out of 5.