Astronauts of Antiquity prove musical dummies

Astronauts of Antiquity’s second album defies all existing genres. Although by no means a household name, Astronauts of Antiquity have accrued several distinguished honors, including best band, best female vocalist and best songwriters at the Motor City Music Awards in Detroit for their album AOA 1. The release of their second album, Rocket Science for Dummies, is a decent album; yet, it is by no means indicative of their previously received honors.

From their sound to their origins to their members, Astronauts of Antiquity are difficult to define. What is certain, however, is that the band’s sound is as incidental as their meeting. After literally running into each other, not once, but twice, India and B. Rhyan introduced themselves. After creating an alternative rock group, the two traveled to a music festival in Poland. While there, they experimented in their encore with a dub-infused song. Much to their surprise, and excitement, the crowd went wild. Since that day, the group has adhered to this coincidental and unique formula.

Describing the sound of Astronauts for Antiquity is no easy feat. A hyphenated — arguably bogus — invention of genre is certainly necessary. Rocket Science for Dummies may adequately, and elaborately, be described as jazzy-electro-lounge-rock. Some songs are an ode to Thievery Corporation, while India’s voice is a near emulation of Nikka Costa’s in others.

One of the album’s most interesting tracks is “Sweet-Tooth.” Instrumentally, the song is inspired by salsa. Faint maracas can be heard in the background and even an uncharacteristic alto saxophone solo emerges midway through the song. Although the lyrics are hardly inspired, at least the song title indicates its brash nature. India sings, “Got a reputation for loving sweets too much,” followed by some indistinguishable mumbling and then, “Chocolate touch.” Although she ensures she will not bore the listener with her long, long story, she certainly does. Incorporating food with sex in life should be exciting; incorporating food with sex in the duo’s lyrics is predictable.

Both the sound of India’s voice and the instrumentals of title track “Rocket Science” sound like the early work of Joss Stone, sans soulful singing plus trite lyrics. This equation adds up to a track comparable to the theme song of the ’90s television show “Sister, Sister.” Primarily, this is a result of the lyrics. The duo relies on uninventive rhymes, for instance, “Don’t wanna put you on trial/ Treat you like a child/ That’s just not my style.” Even the chorus is stale. One can only withstand India’s whiney crooning, “It ain’t rocket science, baby,” for so long.

Rocket Science for Dummies is just that: for dummies. As a whole, the album is hardly terrible. The group consists of extremely talented instrumentalists who clearly have a background in many different musical genres. However, as lyricists, the group leaves much to be desired. The majority of the lyrics appeared to be “dumbed down” as if to cater to a youthful audience. This dumbing down could be a wise decision if all other aspects of the album were as poppy as the lyrics, but they are not.

Astronauts for Antiquity may be rocket scientists in the instrumental realm; conversely, they are dummies in the lyrical realm. Rocket Science for Dummies is best left playing in the elevator of another dimension.

2 1/2 stars out of 5.