New Orleans to visit Madison

On Saturday, New Orleans will come to Madison. Porter, Batiste and Stoltz (PBS) will perform what bass player George Porter Jr. refers to as “funky rock” at the Overture Center for the Arts.

Their music embodies that distinct New Orleans flair while modernizing it with some R&B, jazz and maybe even a little country. Porter recently discussed their music-making process.

“We listen to each other, we play off each other. … We play music that fits that person inside of his group,” he said.

With songs titles such as “I Get High” and “Ausnacious,” it is clear this group moves to the beat of their own drummer. Their music is so much their own it is difficult for them to even say what genre their music fits into.

George Porter Jr. (bass guitar and vocals), Russell Batiste Jr. (drums and vocals) and Brian Stoltz (guitar and vocals) were each separately inspired by different genres of music. Together, they have all brought those genres to the table when creating their music. Porter was largely inspired by jazz due to the influence of his father, an avid jazz listener. The unifying factor, however, is the sound of New Orleans. Their collective musical influence, they say, is Earl King.

While they may be able to put their finger on one musician who solely impacted their sound, Porter cannot really even say what it is about the music of his hometown that impacts him.

“I don’t know how I’m inspired by it — it’s me,” he said

PBS had the desire to take their music out of “The Big Easy,” which explains their national tour. Porter cites two reasons for leaving their home. First of which is the wish to expand on their international music. The second reason was logical:

“[A band] rarely ever can stay at home and make money and play original music,” he said.

While touring, they have no plans to target a specific audience with their music, as Porter says, “My music is geared for the world.”

Porter also makes the promise that if someone has the opportunity to listen to PBS’s music, they will like it. His reason for such confidence is the plethora of genres and artists that have impacted their music.

According to Porter, the songs themselves are not supposed to have a specific message or theme but rather are just about life. Each song has its own story behind it, and as Porter points out, “It depends on what song you’re listening to.”

Their most recent album, titled Moodoo, was released in 2008. The album itself is a strong collaboration of the three talented and gifted artists. Porter has had music sessions with musicians such as Paul McCartney and Jimmy Buffett. Batiste has a strong musical history as the son of David Batiste, lead in a New Orleans band titled David Batiste and the Gladiators. Finally, Stoltz had jam sessions with artists such as Bob Dylan and Paul Simon. These three artists work quite well with one another and that cooperation shines through in their music as well as at their concerts.

“We play well, we have fun and we love what we do,” says Porter.

If PBS were to try and give their potential audiences a reason for attending their concerts, Porter only gives one motive.

“Because we’re good.”

The concert will take place on Saturday, March 28, at 8 p.m. in the Overture’s Capitol Theatre. Tickets are $20 for the general public. As George Porter Jr. puts it, “Bring your tennis shoes, because you’re coming to dance!”