New book holds readers ‘Ransom’

While it may seem ludicrous for a fictional character to write a novel, this is precisely what Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldi (or Mia) has done. And with the help of Meg Cabot, Mia has published her very first book, the last addition to the Princess Diaries series titled “Ransom My Heart.”

The Princess Diaries series includes journal entries by Mia about being a teenager, life changing events, love and learning about who she really is. The first two books of the series were made into a movie in 2001 starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews, the success of which spawned a sequel.

While the success of The Princess Diaries novels was great, those pre-teen books are a little less graphic compared to this full-fledged adult romance novel, which has always been Mia’s dream to write.

In Mia and Cabot’s novel, the reader encounters Finnula Crais, the youngest member of a large family of five sisters and a brother. The Fair Finn, who is the best shot in Shropshire with a bow and arrow, runs around in her leather braies, acting unladylike and causing a ruckus everywhere she goes.

Her sister asks the rebellious Finnula for help when she needs money for her dowry, suggesting Finn capture a wealthy man and hold him ransom. Finn agrees to help her sister and meets Hugo Fitzwilliam, a tall, handsome and wealthy man, on his way home from The Holy Land. Finnula overcomes various problems, humiliations, curiosity and crazy characters along her dangerous and exciting adventure with Hugo Fitzwilliam.

Despite the easily predictable ending to this historical romance novel, the storyline is imaginative. While the idea of ransoming men for all their money and jewels may sound strange, it is actually the preferred method of gaining finances in “Ransom My Heart.”

Although the reader is fully aware of Finn’s plan to help restore her sister’s dowry to what it once was, they are left guessing to an alluded secret. The novel doesn’t openly tell the reader all the background of its characters but slowly leaks pieces here and there, leaving chuckles and a feeling of irony with the reader. These unexpected stories of the past actually leave readers with dropped jaws when all of the pieces come together, which only adds to the enjoyment of reading the novel. The language is also not as modern as Mia’s other texts, giving it a fresh and enjoyable feel.

While there are a couple of similarities in “Ransom My Heart” to the Princess Diaries series (the name of Mia’s cat and Finnula Crais’s pet dog for example), it is stated in Meg Cabot’s introduction that the reader should not think there is any hidden meaning behind any of the coincidences. Meg Cabot also informs the reader that Mia is a huge animal rights activist, environmentalist and vegetarian, therefore all of the proceeds from “Ransom My Heart” will go to Greenpeace, Mia’s favorite charity.

Funny sayings such as “God’s teeth!,” mistaken identities and the adventures in the life of Finnula Crais give this book a fun and likeable charm. “Ransom My Heart” is delightfully laugh-out-loud-funny and action-packed, leaving the reader pressing on, devouring until the end. At the book’s conclusion, willingly ransoming your heart is the only option.

4 1/2 stars out of 5.