Bird’s new ‘Noble’ album

It wouldn’t be fair to classify Andrew Bird as “easy listening.” To do so would not satisfactorily account for the intricacies and judicious detail the Chicago-born folk artist allocates to each song. However, the gentle melodies, unadulterated vocals, ethereal violin riffs, intermittent whistling and backbeat percussion combine to form a dreamy, yet enthusiastic collection of music on Bird’s latest album, Noble Beast. Released Jan. 20, the project also includes a bonus album of entirely instrumental songs titled Useless Creatures.

Obvious in each song is a step beyond an austere mastery of musical instruments. While Bird incorporates the violin, guitar and glockenspiel, he is also able to manipulate rhythm and melody in a way that utterly captivates listeners. “Anonanimal” begins with fast-paced violin picking and gradually builds to include a light distortion, found often on the album, and bright, erratic pitches. “Effigy” includes folksy, Celtic-sounding violin elements and guitar lines that imitate a Latin-like, mature style. “Not a Robot, but a Ghost” is an urgent, sophisticated song with haunting lyrics and an insinuating, sharp bass line that supports the song beautifully.

Most invigorating about Bird’s efforts is his intellectualism. Abstract words are often used in song titles (“ouo,” “Nomenclature,” “Fitz and the Dizzyspells”) and lyrics that invite surreal images and unclear concepts. Despite this heavier, more thought-provoking dialogue Bird creates, the music itself is airy and light, thus hinting at a comparison to traditional, culturally-inspired folk songs.

One disappointment within Noble Beast is the occasional track of regrettable length. The second song, “Masterswarm,” tops 6 1/2 minutes while “Souverian” is over seven. “Souverian” could easily be split into two different arrangements. After about four minutes, the song builds, stops, and then unnecessarily continues. Yet, despite their length, both songs exhibit polished, sweet sounds that suggest a casual intimacy with lilting melodies. Andrew Bird has often pushed his songs beyond a four or five minute limit, which indicates an admirable desire for expression unaccountable to conventional album structures.

Bonus disc Useless Creature rather purely showcases Bird’s music compositional abilities. The album dabbles with the earthy, folk-like feel from Noble Beast as well as darker, messier swirls of sound that swell, fade, and really test how well Bird is able to sustain an entire album sans vocals. The project is successful because of its depth and complexity, but it is definitely a collection of songs meant for a patient listener. It can be slow and extremely abstract without any discernable melodies or foci. This spectacularly experimental aspect to Bird’s work places him on par with more stimulating artists like Animal Collective who have really shaped what today’s indie fans consider fulfilling expression.

Overall, Bird’s fourth solo studio album, Noble Beast, is a compelling expansion of his highly acclaimed, distinctive style fans are sure to enjoy.

4 of 5 stars.