‘Idol’ winner’s debut a feast for the ears

The man who was not originally going to audition for “American Idol” is probably now thanking his lucky stars. David Cook, who auditioned in Nebraska with Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer,” was initially there only to support his brother — who was not as successful at making it to Hollywood.

It was down to the two Davids in the last week, and as it turns out, the one with a rocker style and rough voice won it all and took the title as the seventh “American Idol” winner. David Cook’s self-titled debut album portrays a wide variety of music styles and instrumentals, all of which are enhanced with his rock sound and husky voice.

This is not the only musical experience Cook has had. He emerged on the scene in his younger years in drama and choir (he even received a theater scholarship to University of Central Missouri), as well as his lead singer/guitarist position in Axium (“Hold” was a major hit) and Midwest Kings before his breakout on “American Idol.” He released a solo CD, Analog Heart, before the hit reality show as well, but it had to be pulled from Amazon.com to be fair to the other contestants.

But that didn’t stop Cook, who took full advantage of the use of instruments on “American Idol” by playing either the electric or acoustic guitar in almost every song he sang and winning the hearts and votes of millions.

Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell, the judges of “American Idol,” continually gave Cook props for his outstanding ability to change his sound from song to song. His self-titled album is no exception. All other winners were known for sticking to typical pop songs with an emphasis on love, whereas Cook sets himself apart from the others with his grunge sound and alternative rocker edge.

By adding a variety of different sounds and instrumentals, David Cook does a wonderful job showcasing his abilities. Cook shows vulnerability and bares his heart in the songs “Permanent” and “Life on the Moon.” “Permanent,” with heartfelt lyrics like “Will you think that you’re all alone/ When no one’s there to hold your hand/ And all you know seems so far away and everything is temporary rest your head/ I’m permanent” accompanied with a soft, but noticeable piano juxtaposed with his gravelly voice tugs at your emotions. “Life on the Moon,” however, has more of a frantic and worried side to it with lyrics like “Here in this crowd I’m feeling all alone/ Turn me around and point me back to home/ I’m getting lost more everyday and the life that I knew is through/ And I’m gonna need you more than ever/ I’m alone in this crowded room.”

In the short time Cook has been famous, he has already broken some pretty impressive records. The week after he won the coveted title of “American Idol,” he shattered records in the Billboard’s Top 100 by debuting an astonishing 11 songs at once.

His hit “The Time of My Life” — his finale song after he was declared winner and also a bonus track on his new album — rocketed to the No. 3 spot on the Hot 100. David Cook’s originality pooled with his powerful voice should have America proud of their new Idol winner.

4 stars out of 5