Gym Class Heroes’ ‘The Quilt’ too patchy, full of holes

When The Papercut Chronicles debuted in 2005, Gym Class Heroes altered the alternative music scene, bringing something unusual to the crowds at Warped Tour. Lead singer Travis McCoy brought lyrical wit while the band behind him produced catchy beats. The categories of hip-hop and indie rock style music were combined in a way that created an entirely new genre — similar to the sounds of The Roots and N.E.R.D. — but with the addition of an alternative edge and an underdog status.

With the release of As Cruel as School Children in 2006 came the recognition they deserved. The album included the catchy, unusually romantic hit “Cupid’s Chokehold.” But now, Gym Class Heroes is not one of a kind. With Shwayze and Flobots gaining popularity, it seems as though the once unique sound has reached mainstream. Therefore, it was interesting to see whether the Gym Class Heroes would overtake the newbies with their newest release, The Quilt.

“Peace Sign/Index Down” with Busta Rhymes is sure to be a radio hit much like “Cupid’s Chokehold,” and its attitude and style are reminiscent of the pre-MTV Gym Class Heroes. The lyrics address the ridicule the band receives from their association with bands like Fallout Boy as well as being from upstate New York. “Guilty as Charged” featuring Estelle, the singer of “American Boy,” highlights what seems to be a new direction for the band.

A major theme of the album lyrically is cheating. Although this may be a very relatable topic, it is overused. “Coming Clean,” “Cookie Jar” and “Drnk Txt Rmeo” all focus on Travis cheating. It almost felt like the album could be an installment to Usher’s Confessions. “Blinded By the Sun” has a solid reggae beat but fails to impress lyrically. The lyrics, once again, relate to cheating, but this time Travis has been cheated on. Creative, though, was the band’s collaboration with Fallout Boy’s Patrick Stump on this track.

“Like Father, Like Son,” is catchy, but executed poorly, resulting in a sappy “thank you” ballad. “No Place to Run” and “Live a Little” include no rapping whatsoever, and they seemed completely misplaced. Another random track, “Kissin’ Ears” featuring The Dream, sounds like it could be any other hip-hop one-hitter with a synthesizer and a chorus including the line “Makin’ babies, buyin’ you a Mercedes.”

The album as a whole lacks fluidity. Yes, Gym Class Heroes is about involving multiple genres, but in a smooth manner. It felt as though this album was a mixtape rather than a solid and cohesive record. Still, there are a lot of interesting collaborations on the album as mentioned, and even a few great tracks. “Peace Sign/Index Down,” “Guilty as Charged” and even possibly “Cookie Jar” are recommended listens, but the entire album alone is not worth the money.

2 1/2 stars out of 5