School-year style: A sale in time saves shoppers a dime

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Ragstock_JN[/media-credit]

Finding the right clothes for any occasion is a difficult task. Combine that with a University of Wisconsin student’s budget, and that task becomes mission impossible. Or does it? We’ve compiled a list of stores that will allow you to beef up your classtime and nighttime wardrobes while still keeping your wallet thick with Benjamins. Or at least some dead presidents.

Class:

H&M:

While any store advertised with models seemingly ripped from the runway may give off an air of “expensive,” this is not the case with Swedish clothier H&M. With a little more flair for the couture, H&M provides a lot more style to the typical day-to-day clothing and for a much more reasonable price than their runway inspiration. While especially exceptional for finding those business clothes everyone needs for internships or office jobs, there is also a wide array of different spins on the day-to-day classics that will keep you on top of the fashion scene. It just goes to show that a little can go a long way.

Wet Seal:

To say this store is wild is a bit of an understatement. With the animal prints, bright colors and fun, flirty styles, Wet Seal is the place to go for those with a penchant for something different. Although a little out of the way (it requires a bus ride), a trip to West Towne Mall is worth it. For casual school days or crazier nights outs, there is something for everyone — and all at a price that won’t empty your wallet. And with the cool background music and the color-coordinated store layout, the store accommodates the customer by creating an overall “cool” atmosphere that also facilitates the shopper searching for the ideal item. For those searching for some of the best deals around, Wet Seal is a good place to try.

Ragstock:

Although the brightly colored, outrageously adorned mannequins in Ragstock’s windows may intimidate you, it’s all in good fun. Located on State Street, Ragstock has become the central thrift store of Madison. Offering clothing and accessories for both men and women from modest prices to dirt cheap, it is the place to go to find those hidden gems which quickly become favorites in your closet. From the classic to the strange (metallic bright-blue leggings, anyone?), Ragstock is perfect for styles all across the board. Oh, and when Halloween rolls around, it is the most popular hunting ground for the best Halloween costume.

Kohl’s:

If you happen to be in the West Towne Mall area, Kohl’s might be worth a stop. Notorious for their ever-occurring sales that almost never require a shopper to purchase clothing at their regular price, Kohl’s is the best alternative to the typical department store. With all of the basics that create the foundation of any closet, Kohl’s also offers several new lines of clothing which work to create several diverging styles to please all tastes. As far as prices go, Kohl’s can’t be beat in their sales as well as their common 60-80 percent off racks at the end of each season. At Kohl’s you really can load up on everything you need, and also a few things you wanted as well.

Going Out

Sukara Sterling:

Although Sukara Sterling is among the higher-end shops, their big sales make boutique shopping a lot more affordable. With frequent 50 percent-off sales, the occasional dirt-cheap sales rack and pretty jewelry, Sukara Sterling is best for those particularly special nights out on the town.

Urban Outfitters:

If there is one classic place for shopping on State Street, it is Urban Outfitters. Not only is it known to have a little bit of everything, but everything it does offer exudes cool. While the clothes are a little pricey at normal , heading to the back right corner with the sales racks will lift a weight off your mind without thinning your wallet. Although their selection is generally hit or miss, Urban Outfitters is perfect for looking for the perfect outfit for that special night out.