From pot to politics, duo soars

Even after satisfying viewers in the ultimate post-pot-smoking craving adventure of “White Castle,” the slick tongues of Harold and Kumar still salivate enough to land them in another politically incorrect quest more preposterous than the first. “Harold And Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay” uses the outlandishly perverse stoner humor of its “White Castle” predecessor as a catalyst to explore the ignorance behind America’s “War on Terror.”

The film starts uninterrupted from where “White Castle” ended as collegiate chumps Harold (John Cho) and Kumar (Kal Penn) ambitiously decide to go to Amsterdam to pursue Harold’s recent crush (with the added incentive of legal weed). After attempting to achieve the pothead’s version of the “mile high club” on their flight, the guys are mistaken as terrorists and sent to the prisoner pit of the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay. Realizing “dickmeat sandwiches” was the night’s main course, they get away and begin their mission to discharge their fugitive status, all the while being hunted by the badge-abusing chief deputy of Homeland Security Ron Fox (Rob Corddry, “Semi-Pro”).

Harold and Kumar’s ultimate destination is Texas, where they hope Harold’s friend’s (subsequently Kumar’s ex-girlfriend’s fiance) right-wing government connections can clear their name. Their journey through the South leads them to arbitrary encounters with inbred rednecks, beer-chugging KKK members, toking George W. Bush and the glorious return of Neil Patrick Harris.

The dual writers and directors of the previous Harold and Kumar flick, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Shlossberg, push the social commentary of the first film further, which was cleverly crafted from gross-out humor to create a full-blown political satire.

This is taken head-on by Rob Corddry’s character, Ron Fox, who assumes feasible truth in all stereotypes and has no fear acting upon them. From persuading Jews with pennies to using an interpreter to speak to Harold’s Korean parents — who are fully capable of speaking English — Fox takes every opportunity to demean anyone who doesn’t fit the ideal Caucasian profile. Corddry’s naturally exaggerated facial and gestural expressions fit well into a character that is bent on extremes, but the comic allure of his absurdity gets old and the laughing continues to dwindle as the movie presses on.

Cho and Penn shine as well, reprising the role of loveable, laughable Harold and Kumar with the same endearing qualities that set them apart as modern heroes for every determined stoner. Cho provides the tense posture and heavy sighing necessary of the conscience-minded Harold, which is complimentary to Kumar’s naivety, portrayed through a sheepish grin and wide-eyed bewilderment. The two are the quintessential victims of discrimination, as their atypical American lifestyle makes them unaware of people who still construct ethnic barriers. Although done with rather tasteless humor, they can skillfully create a statement amid a crude joke of bathroom humor.

Unfortunately, the attempt at any withstanding political message is taken one step too far with the use of a dry Bush impersonation that portrays the president as a pothead whipped at the hands of Cheney. Although there is no expectation for any of these interpretations to be taken seriously or with any accuracy, the erroneous performance is a cheap tactic to incite laughs.

The film also relies on some old notions for hearty laughs, especially with the reemergence of the now-notorious Neil Patrick Harris, whose outrageous quips are just as funny the second time around. For reasons still unknown, the simple imagery of Harris riding a white unicorn into a rainbow is enough to make almost any moviegoer crack a widespread grin.

Unfortunately, some prime comedic time was traded in for more sentimental moments. After meeting up with his ex-girlfriend, Kumar realizes he’s still in love with her. The movie then follows the guidelines of a Hollywood love story, complete with unnecessary flashbacks and reminiscing via old photos. It may in fact be just one Snow Patrol song shy of making some audience members teary-eyed. Although the added plot gives the story more of a well-rounded quality, it diverts from the truly outlandish humor that makes these movies unique.

The idiotic charm of Harold and Kumar once again provides a consistent string of laughs throughout the movie, though none are quite as gut-busting as the original. It audaciously expanded the social commentary into one of more political importance without using its blatant comedy. The crude humor of “Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay” may be a lot to take in but will surely be as satisfying as any White Castle burger.

3 stars out of 5