Memo: ‘Office’ returns with abounding hilarity

The time has come for the computers to be booted up, the pencils sharpened and the coffee percolated. That is right, Dunder Mifflin, everybody’s favorite Scranton paper branch is back in business. To the delight of many viewers, “The Office” returned last night from its Writers’ Guild Association strike-induced hiatus.

Ever since the strike ended Feb. 12, the show’s creators have been hard at work filming six new episodes to air during NBC’s shortened spring lineup. The writers have already promised that, even though the season has been cut short, there are still major plot developments to be revealed before summer. Consequently, there has been constant buzz in the air in anticipation for the reappearance of the sitcom.

The week’s episode invites audiences to join in on what could be one of the most awkward parties of all time. After numerous failed attempts, Michael (Steve Carell) manages to trick Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) into coming over to his condo to join him and Jan (Melora Hardin) for dinner. Much to the dismay of Dwight (Rainn Wilson), Andy (Ed Helms) and Angela (Angela Kinsey) are also invited to this couples only event.

Once the guests arrive, they are shocked to learn dinner will not actually be served for another three hours and are therefore forced to uncomfortably endure the gradual meltdown of Michael and Jan. Things only get more interesting when Dwight crashes the party with his much older former babysitter as his date.

The show’s writers prove with this episode that the long layover has not left them rusty, providing all the awkwardly comedic moments and sarcastic comebacks fans have come to expect from this award-winning sitcom. But what makes this episode in particular work are the comedic situations set up as a result of the three completely polarized couples all being in one area together. During one scene in the living room, this contrast is staged perfectly as Jim, Pam and Angela sit together on one couch, Andy sits in a recliner by himself and Jan is on Michael’s lap in another recliner. This arrangement expertly symbolizes Jim and Pam’s stable, loving relationship, Jan’s domineering hold over Michael and Andy and Angela’s absurdly distant hookup. It is these stark details that give this episode its explosive energy.       

Carell, Krasinski and Fischer are excellent as usual, but it was Hardin who really shined in this one. Her portrayal of Jan’s breakdown resulting from her failure to mask her unstable relationship with Michael is almost as hilarious as the comedic situations that result from it.

If this episode had one flaw, it would be the absence of the rest of the Dunder Mifflin employees. One of the strongest aspects of “The Office” is its diverse cast, and it is always a bit disappointing when the rest of the gang is not there to help generate the laughs.

With one down and five to go, viewers can only guess what “The Office” has in store for us next week. “You do not want to miss the second episode back,” Jenna Fischer said in an interview with “Entertainment Weekly,” as “big stuff happens for Jim and Pam.”

One can only assume that no matter what happens, it will be well worth the seven-day wait.

4 stars out of 5