Rapper’s talent ‘Undeniable’ on latest release

Anthony Cruz has been entrenched in hip-hop for more than a decade, consistently dropping lyrical gems at the drop of a hat. Known for his complex rhyme patterns and intelligent allusions, Cruz, better know as rapper AZ, came to prominence in 1994 when he was featured as the only guest emcee on arguably the greatest rap album of all time, Nas’ Illmatic. Though AZ has received relative critical acclaim over the years, the respect this rapper has gained from his peers and reviewers has never really translated to mainstream success — and perhaps that’s the way it should stay. But now AZ adds to an already accomplished catalog with his latest, Undeniable, an album that effectively showcases his spectacular rhyming abilities.

“The Game Don’t Stop” kicks the album off with a bass-heavy beat, scaling piano notes and AZ’s effortless flow. AZ, like most modern rappers, has a flair for braggadocio, but he is able to separate himself from the pack by being creative in his arrogance. “Life On The Line” emphasizes this, featuring AZ proudly boasting about his status in the rap game and the sacrifices he had to make to get there.

Another of AZ’s most polished skills is his capacity to lace every verse with intricate internal rhymes as he does so smoothly on “Now I Know.” He brings more of the same on “Parking Lot Pimpin’,” boasting “It’s so anal how the chain dangle/ How it sparkles like the Star Spangled/ Believe I’m Allah’s angel.” Ignoring the fact that Jay-Z made a track of the same name years ago, AZ’s fierce wordplay makes this one hard-hitting song.

With AZ delivering a steady verbal onslaught throughout all of Undeniable, most of the album’s blunders rest on the shoulders of the production. On some tracks — notably “Dead End” — the beats are too soft and upbeat to mesh with AZ’s gritty delivery. And the choruses provide the same problem. AZ gets a half-hearted effort from pitiful singer Ray J on “Go Getta,” easily the album’s worst track. Furthermore, most of the tracks’ choruses sound the same, with AZ getting assistance from some unfortunate singing in falsetto about the allure of the rap game. Listen to “Undeniable” and “Superstar” consecutively, and that will become clear immediately.

Though those songs do put a significant damper on the cohesion of Undeniable, AZ manages to salvage most tracks with his impeccable rhymes. He proves that after seven solo albums and more than 10 years in the rap game, the lyrical dexterity that initially earned him his reputation still remains. AZ’s mastery of the rhyme truly is Undeniable, making his album one of the best hip-hop albums of what has been a drab, first quarter of 2008.

3 1/2 stars out of 5