UW’s ‘Don Pasquale’ best of year

The opera ?Don Pasquale,? directed by William Farlow and presented by the University of Wisconsin School of Music, simply put, is one of the best productions offered by the university this year. Benefiting from an exceptionally talented pool of graduate and undergraduate music students and a show that is accessible to even the most opera averse, ?Don Pasquale? shines brilliantly.

The opera, written by Gaetano Donizetti in the middle of the 19th century, follows the ill-advised quest of Don Pasquale ? a man greatly advanced in age ? to find a much younger bride. His friend and advisor Dottore Malatesta devices a scheme to teach the old man a lesson, using the Don?s nephew Ernesto and his lover Norina to enact his plan. From there, misunderstandings and hilarity ensue.

The show follows the commedia dell?arte improvisation tradition. Essentially, the stock characters with exaggerated gestures and the ridiculous plot are more or less a vehicle to put the actors on stage in various comedic situations.

It?s understandable why many balk at going to the opera. Operas? plots can be very contrived, making them hard to follow at times; they may or may not be presented in a foreign language; and it can often feel that, without complete knowledge of the western canon of classical music, many of the intricacies of opera are inaccessible.

This is not the case, however, with Farlow?s ?Don Pasquale,? as the script is inviting and relatable to a modern crowd. True, the production is entirely in Italian, but with well synched supertitles ? featured on a screen hanging above the stage that projects the words in English translation ? it is incredibly easy to follow the show. The 1920s art deco design is also very pleasing and much friendlier to student sensibilities than a potential period design. Even sans the supertitles, the general action of every scene comes across with all the subtlety of a pratfall.

But what made this show truly special were the performances of the cast. From the moment Matt Tintes took the stage as Don Pasquale, it was obvious this show was going to be special, and, as he sang, his silky smooth bass effortlessly floated through the room. Sam Haddad turned in a similarly great performance with a powerful and well-honed baritone of the richest quality as the cunning Dottore Malatesta. James Kryshak?s tenor, as Ernesto, was both piercing and beautiful, his tone easily spinning about the intimate Music Hall. Caitlin Cisler as Norina also exuded star quality with a presence and voice that commanded attention and dominated the stage whenever she was present. These leading roles are played by graduate students from the music department. However, the chorus, comprised of UW undergraduate students, provided some of the finest talent, though the members? parts were brief. The orchestra, also comprised of students, sounded fantastic.

The show does have an alternate casting with Karen Bishop as Norina and Scott Johnson as Dottore Malatesta. Though I was unable to see either of them perform, in sitting down with Karen, her level of preparation and professionalism was impressive, and it seems certain that the alternate cast will turn in no less of a stunning performance.

The only fault in this show is that the acting was at times a little stiff. However, any instances of stilted theatricality were quickly forgiven and forgotten with such beautiful singing and an engrossing set. ?Don Pasquale? is a must-see.

?Don Pasquale? plays in Music Hall tonight and Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets cost $10 for students or $18 at general admission. Contact the University Box Office at 608-262-1500 for tickets.