New Fox sitcom just plain stupid

The Boston dating scene is about to get pumped full of stupid. No, it’s not another ?Real Word: Boston.? It?s actually much, much worse.

?Unhitched,? a new FOX comedy airing in March, revolves around recently divorced, 35-year-old Jack Gately (Craig Bierko, you might remember him from ?The Thirteenth Floor,? but probably not) and his three single, commiserating friends. They actually call him ?Gator? all the time, but it?s rarely funny and never cool. His other friends serve up the typical sitcom roles to balance out the cast. There?s his buddy Tommy (Johnny Sneed, ?Alpha Mom?); the unscrupulous best friend who will do absolutely anything to get laid; Dr. Freddy (Shaun Majumdar, ?24?) an uptight, socially awkward doctor; and Kate (Rashia Jones, ?The Office?), a normal girl predisposed to always date a Mr. Wrong. But these superfluous characters serve as little more than content filler.

Still, the worst character of this motley crew is Tommy. It isn?t because of the sleaziness or complete lack of substance on his part ? it?s the idea of Tommy. He is completely self-actualized by having sex all the time, no matter who it is or what the cost. The problem is that there is no mystery here ? everyone is so transparent that there?s no guessing as to the direction of the show.

More awful than this rag-tag set of characters, though, is the acting. Simply put, it?s terrible. But that hardly matters, as the situations are so stupid that there is absolutely no progress to be made anyway.

Basically, everything about this show sucks. The characters are unlikable, and the jokes are so overdone, overused and over-the-top that the cool demeanor of each friend as they discuss the happenings in each other?s lives is ridiculous in its own right. Could I be exaggerating? No. The first few minutes of the pilot involve a monkey, bestiality and anal sex. But trust me, it gets worse.

The premise of this show is based upon presenting many of the show?s characters as seemingly normal, datable people who are plagued by one ridiculous flaw. Take, for example, the girl with the skin tag that looks like a shrimp on her back or the super-trendy, hipster musician who is really an air guitarist.

Admittedly, the idea of an Indian doctor at a TGIF with a hooker on his birthday sounds funny, but it ends up merely coming across as pathetic. The show is so full of low blows and cheap shots that it should just air on Saturday night prime time. Anyone that finds this funny would be at home on a Saturday night anyway, likely living out a miserly existence ? especially if they?re watching FOX.

I?m not saying that watching this show is excruciating; it?s sort of like being in close proximity to a homeless man ranting loudly. It?s uncomfortable, awkward and can?t be stopped. The only thing you can do is look away ? but maybe part of you can?t. That?s where FOX will get its ratings. It has been an industry standard to produce this type of show when nothing better is on the table, and it maintains a vastly callous outlook on what people will tolerate. My only advice is to stay away from ?Unhitched? at all costs. Let this show fizzle out and die away so these cast members can look for work once again and perhaps put out something better.

0 stars out of 5