Spears gets tipsy on ‘Blackout’

With Tuesday’s release of the new album Blackout, Britney Spears reminded the world she still makes music. The head-shaving pop diva proved she is alive, well, and still churning out horrible albums. Blackout was originally slated to come out Nov. 13, but due to “numerous unauthorized online leaks,” Jive Records moved the release date up two weeks. However, the shifting release date was not the only controversy surrounding the album. Tuesday, Spears came under criticism for the photography on her album’s insert. Two photos show her provocatively posing with a Catholic priest, and according to MTV, these photos have already angered the Catholic League, an anti-defamation group. Spears has yet to make a public statement about the photos, which is likely due to the fact that they were merely intended to be ogled at rather than send any political or social message. The new album is a continuation of Spears’ trend of releasing sexually provocative schlock. While some critics claim her racy songs are part of a post-bubble gum uprising, her new album’s lyrics show all the sexual maturity and sentimentality of a 14-year-old boy. On “Ooh Ooh Baby,” for example, Spears states, “You’re fillin’ me up with your love.” Once again, Ms. Spears has shown the world that subtle lyrics are not her strong suit. In almost every way, Blackout is about sex, but, in an act of mercy to her audience, Spears included a few token songs that delve into other topics. “Toy Soldier” is a thinly veiled expression of Spears’ desire for a better lover in her post-K-Fed life, and “Why Should I Be Sad?” is a sentimental goodbye to her former companion. “Piece of Me,” a tirade against the paparazzi, is the one lyrical bright spot on an otherwise sophomoric album. That said, the rest of the album is what audiences should expect from Spears: a vapid succession of poorly written but nevertheless catchy songs. While it is not exactly a triumph of the human spirit, Blackout is easy to move to. “Gimme More,” the album’s first single, is an upbeat song that is sure to keep club-goers on the dance floor. It is probably due to these catchy beats that critics have given Spears’ new album very good reviews. However, in spite of its critical acclaim, Blackout is not for everybody. Die-hard fans, dance lovers with exceptionally high tolerances for bad lyrics and perpetually intoxicated individuals will probably enjoy bumping and grinding to the nearly pornographic tracks of Blackout. The other 99.9 percent of the population would do best to take the advice of the title of the album and simply forget that this awful piece of trash ever came into existence. 1 star out of 5