‘Chibi-Robo’ high on flower power

There is a small irony in Walmart becoming the exclusive outlet for an obscure, quintessentially Japanese video game, as it will probably still sell more than in the medium's specialty monopoly, Gamestop.

Politics are neither here nor there, however — you, savvy shopper, will simply follow the sensible maxim that when any game is a single-store exclusive, it must be terrible. You will also be wrong.

"Chibi-Robo," a new DS rendition of a previously successful Gamecube game now available only at Wal-Mart, is a rarity because it's actually quite good.

The game places players in control of Chibi-Robo, a diminutive, cute little robot whose purpose is to help repopulate the world with flowers and happiness, because they're both disappearing at an alarming rate. And just how does he accomplish this? Why, the usual way of growing flowers — laying down funky beats with your boom-box and dancing to make them happy, of course.

Each aspect of "Chibi-Robo" is more ridiculous than the last. People and things "talk" –through gibberish voices accompanied by subtitled text. Although closely verging on annoying, it's actually rather comical. Chibi himself, though, is mute and communicates through a green affirmation sign and a red negation sign that pop out of his head.

Growing flowers, and doing other good deeds rewards you with Happiness Points, which are then converted into watts to be used to re-energize yourself or to buy items to further your spreading of goodwill and daisies. Before long, you recruit absurd characters like a magical French marionette in pursuit of liberty — a la Wizard of Oz — and a mysterious, hate-filled, smoggy villain.

You'll also find yourself cruising along in tiny bikes, cars and boats, and fending off smog-enemies threatening to ravage your precious flowerbeds. The top screen is the main screen, whereas the bottom serves as your inventory of items to select with the stylus, a system that utilizes the dual screen and touch features very nicely.

All comparison does its sheer creativity injustice, but thematically, the game is like "Toy Story" on acid, with a hilarious melodramatic spin. Luridly vibrant and colorful, "Chibi-Robo's" 3-D environment is also rather impressive. This, teamed with the relentlessly upbeat music, draws you into the whimsical flowery world, where foul moods are nary to be found. Practically serving as a substitute for Prozac or therapy, the absurdity will crush any gloom. The meaningless tasks of growing flowers and exploring the world would make a multinational corporate executive feverish, but, from your four-inch perspective, "Chibi-Robo" is the source for priceless amusement and relaxation.