Hot Hot Heat’s latest lukewarm

Coming back from a well-selling but poorly received album, Hot Hot Heat tried to win back some fans with Happiness Ltd. by reverting to the unique aspects of its major label debut album, Make up the Breakdown, that launched the band into popularity. Although Happiness Ltd. doesn't reach that level of dynamic allure, it is a definite improvement from the band's previous album, Elevator. In truth, it's a new sound for the band, and it works decently.

Happiness Ltd. is more instrument-driven and less reliant on vocals than the group's past albums. This may be a turn off to people who got hooked by Steve Bays' whiny, emotive singing style. Whine more please, Steve Bays. It's missed.

There are still several songs with great vocal parts, but many others are too morose, almost boringly unexpressive. The band's usual energetic vocals and catchy lyrics aren't utilized to its full abilities, creating a slight sense of lacking. The lyrics aren't as cryptic or seemingly nonsensical as before, which is also missed. Overall, a more saturnine tone also marks the new album, and it is smartly contrasted with fast, upbeat tempos and tunes.

The biggest development seen on Happiness Ltd. is probably the sheer melodic complexity of most of the new songs. It's refreshing to see bands including more than basic bass, guitar and drums, which is something Hot Hot Heat has done exceedingly well, incorporating piano, synth, chorus, a slew of percussion and, of course, cowbell. Something is being done right when listeners know they love a song in the first twenty seconds. However, it would be nice to see more synthesizers, which would match well with the new propensity to have complex musical layers. The album's smooth feel also owes to the several unexpected transitions in tempo that do well to keep tracks from dragging on.

The two released singles from the new album, "Give Up?" and especially "Let Me In," are rather representative of the album. Generally speaking, Happiness Ltd. is a thoughtful album, as well as an outlet for the band's evolving style. Though Hot Hot Heat now seems less distinguished by the unique vocals that had been given emphasis by the simpler instrumentals of prior albums, the heavier use of instrumental complexity works.

Nevertheless, they retain their polished yet intentionally rough-sounding upbeat niche of alternative rock. It probably won't replace Make up the Breakdown in the hearts of fans, but will probably offer a few songs that'll end up on your favorites playlist.

3 stars out of 5