Summer fashion calls for nature

Summer is so close we can almost taste it! Thankfully amid all the craziness that the end of the year brings, we still have Mifflin to look forward to (three days)! It's hard for me to even come to terms with the fact that this year is almost over. For me, as I'm sure most would agree, Madison has become home. That being said, it's hard to be sad when there is so much to look forward to this summer!

It's been awhile since I talked about seasonal trends, and now is the perfect time.

First of all, with summer comes color — usually — but this summer seems to be taking on a different shade. Earth tones are more in than ever: lilacs, pale grays, browns, greens — natural colors in their rawest form splashing across couture and casual lines alike. It's interesting that for as much of a hard time the fashion industry receives, they are actually one of the leading industries in promoting the idea of an eco-friendly "green" lifestyle.

Blending seamlessly with the natural tones are the fabric choices from organic cottons to hemp to bamboo jersey knits. This summer is all about saving the planet — one shirt at a time, which means that the patterns are also going to reflect a similar image. Prepare to see a lot of natural elements on display. I've already noticed an abundance of flower and leaf motifs as well as silk-screened birds. Influence hints strongly toward 1960s Woodstock-esque culture meets artsy landscape photography.

Some key pieces to look for are strapless boho dresses, sheer chiffon tops and lots of crocheted and braided pieces. I would go with small flowered prints rather than big polka dots; this season is all about being one with nature, as a true hippie would see it. As hemlines seem to be climbing, expect to see skin, and a lot of it, as well as adorable mini well-cut sundresses. I am expecting an eclectic blend of mixed and matched patterns and simple plain pieces.

Some brands to watch for are Free People, which has been a favorite of mine these past few seasons, as well as American Apparel, which started a line of 100-percent organic cotton tees. Urban Outfitters will undoubtedly carry some eclectic accent pieces, but my recommendation to you is to go look around. Before you buy anything, take a trip to a local thrift shop. Chances are they'll have something almost identical for half the price.

For guys, I would recommend the stereotypical khaki shorts, brown belt, simple T-shirt look. Best not to complicate things with puka shells and diamond earrings. I also have never been a fan of guys in Hollister. Being from California, I know that Hollister is not a coastal community but a rundown farmland famous for their garlic festivals. But that's just my opinion. Best to take some pointers from the guys on the tenth floor of Sellery Hall's A-tower — now those boys know how to dress.

However you choose to dress this summer, whatever trends you choose to follow, or not take note of, just make sure you go outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. And remember, although personal style is always best, it's good to change it up a bit.

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Is your wardrobe summer-ready? Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].