Creating great game no easy task

Sometimes I sit down and think: What does it take for a game to make it to the top? The elements that make a best-selling title range from characters to storylines and everything in between.

First things first, the game needs a story. Me, I love storylines to be epic in nature, length and complexity, a veritable “Odyssey” of the video game world, if you will. The longer I can sit and play a game, the better, since I feel that I am getting my money's worth.

That being said, writers who work on the "Final Fantasy" and "Legend of Zelda" series deserve a pat on the back for always delivering. "Final Fantasy" installments consistently present intricate works that take, on average, roughly 60 hours to complete quickly. Characters are well-developed, and I always feel like I am living vicariously through them.

Similarly, "Zelda" titles make me feel that I am the famed Link as he brandishes his blade and slashes triumphantly through perilous dungeons. Recently, the series has taken a turn to being darker and more mature, and I say, keep it coming.

What would any game be, however, without a hero? Characters really can make or break a series. Heroes have to be lovable and marketable, while having the ability to grow with the changing generations of gamers. As we can see in games, a hero doesn't have to be a big buff Hollywood-esque action star but can be perhaps a small animal, like a hedgehog, or even an everyday Joe, like a plumber.

Of course, the greatest hero of them all is everyone's favorite mushroom-chomping, Goomba-stomping, lizard-trouncing Mario. Mario has been around since the dawn of the original Nintendo Entertainment System in the mid-’80s and is showing no signs of retiring anytime soon. I cannot wait to get my hands on "Super Mario Galaxy" next fall. You really have to wonder how he met Princess Peach, though. Maybe she had one hell of a clog at the palace after Toad ate too much Qdoba. Whatever the reason, he always gets his just reward in the end for all his hard work: a cake beaked with love from his dearest Peach.

If you have a hero, of course, there is always someone looking to make trouble for them. A good villain is vital, since gamers need to have someone/thing they love to hate and aspire to defeat in a final battle royale. Villains and bosses alike are a test of skill that any serious gamer lives for. No challenge is too great or too small.

He may have been left out of last week's countdown, but I will give love where love is deserved for my reptilian nemesis, Bowser. This mean, not-so-green fire-breathing machine really puts the "bad" in "badass," with his uncanny ability to kidnap Princess Peach with a minimal amount of effort and to survive plummeting into seemingly countless pools of molten lava while still maintaining his hulking beast physique. Bowser, I salute you and all your dastardly deeds. May we meet again soon.

As trite as it may be, there is no way to avoid the topic of visuals. We all love pretty graphics, high polygon-count character sprites and breathtaking cinematic scenes. While graphics are certainly not everything, they really help to bring everything together in any project. When developers go out of their way to insert a bit of over-zealous eye candy, I welcome them with open arms, especially when they push the limits of hardware to achieve the desired result.

I recall purchasing my first PlayStation (a PS1, thank you) when I was about 13. My first game, which really will come as no surprise, was "Final Fantasy VII." After hurriedly plopping in the first disk, I was greeted by an opening scene that was the most beautiful CG scene I had ever seen in a video game. I was hooked. Going from battle to battle, seeing such realistic (for the time) characters, I knew Squaresoft (known today as Square Enix) and I would be friends for life. They really pushed the envelope with PS1's hardware, and it showed.

Around the same time I acquired a Nintendo 64 and a copy of "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time." The year was 1998, and the date was Christmas Eve. Once I opened the golden box and flipped the switch on my N64 for the first time, I was transported to a fantasy world with vibrant colors and gorgeous 3-D graphics.

While playing both titles through to completion, I soaked in every beautiful pixel. Indeed, looking back on them now, they don't really compare to PS3 or even the Wii, but I would never expect them to. All great things advance over time, and with graphics, I only expect leaps and bounds.

We have covered the bare minimum of what makes a title sparkle from characters to design. To each their own, however, when it comes to determining what factors contribute to making their gaming experience pleasurable.

With this as a backdrop to what I feel makes a game great, I welcome you to read on next week for my final work of the semester, where I will unveil the top 10 games ever created. You may not agree with me, but maybe you will, and there is only one way to find out.

Justin Voss is a sophomore majoring in Japanese. Can't wait to see what his top 10 games of all time will be? Beg Tanuki Voss for a sneak peek at [email protected].