Summertime lovin’ a blast

Spring has sprung. The pollen in the air is tantalizing your nostrils (or causing you extreme allergic reactions). The birds are chirping, the sun is out and the days are getting longer. What does this all lead to? The answer is simple: Summer is right around the corner.

With the arrival of summer comes many lovely things: a nice tan, more free time and even the possibility of summer romance.

Summer romances are dandy all right. They are usually carefree, relaxed relationships with someone whom you genuinely begin to care for. The beauty of a summer love is that the stress factor is greatly lowered because of the lack of grueling school demands. This translates into fewer nitpicky fights that arise because one person is taking his or her frustration out on the other. The only uphill battle you will be likely to face is what kind of ice cream is the tastiest while you're relaxing on the beach.

Summer relationships are also great because you might be dating someone who is completely different. If you're going home for the summer, it's possible that you could become involved with someone from a different school, career or walk of life. It's sometimes nice to get a new change of scene in dating. As much as I love Madison, the world is waiting to be explored. Being away from your friends and your main social circle will cause you to branch out, meet new people and perhaps even give you a whole new take on life.

When it all comes down to it, the best part about having a summer love is that you can literally do it anywhere. You're no longer cooped up in the bedroom or the confines of your stuffy apartment; you can now expand your play space to the great outdoors.

Case in point: You can now do it in the woods. Bring a picnic, set out a blanket and go from there. Or maybe you'll get a call from the wild and do it up against a tree. You may end up with some scratches, but what are a few cuts and bruises in the name of pleasure? Go rent the movie "We Don't Live Here Anymore" and watch Naomi Watts and Mark Ruffalo get down and dirty, and you'll see what I mean. And FYI — make sure you choose a spot in the forest that isn't bordering an elementary school playground — that kind of sex education may be a little too up close and personal for the children.

Another good outdoor destination that can also be romantic and secluded is on a boat in the middle of a lake. Think about it: You're in the middle of a pristine pool of water, naked, going at it, and your screams of ecstasy can be as loud as you want because no one can hear them. The force of the swaying of the boat to the waves will give you a bit more of a challenge to keep a steady rhythm but will result in a hefty payback. The convenience about this spot is that after working up a sweat, you can just take a dive right off the boat into the lake.

There are some guidelines, however. Do go out on a speedboat. Do go out on a pontoon. Don't go out on a canoe. Canoes are known to tip from the slightest bit of movement, and knowing what's going down, you will most likely swamp the boat.

That brings me to another spot — the water itself. We've all been curious about aquatic eroticism, and there is no better time than the summer to put your curiosity in motion. Personally, I am an aquatic-karma-sutra virgin, but I can only imagine the possibilities. And if you're not quite ready to take that plunge yet, you can always stick to good ole skinny dipping, if you feel like letting loose and maybe teasing your significant other in the process.

Summer is the hands down best time of the year, since school and everything academic will be far from your mind. The summer also holds promise of a blissful summer romance; and you never know, maybe your summer fling will pass the test and last all the way through daylight saving time next fall.

And even if you're not usually into exploring the great outdoors, the endless possibilities of where you can get it on may just change your perception as to what it means to be "one with nature."

Jenny Kalaidis is a freshman intending to major in communication arts and journalism. Summer lovin' had you a blast? Send your relationship questions, comments and tales of sexual escapades to [email protected].