Film packs emotional punch

Amid the craziness of life, two once-were college roommates cross paths in a chance run-in on the busy streets of New York City. Way back when, they were two young guys living the carefree college life. Now, as two grown men, they find themselves struggling with life's unpredictable challenges.

Written and directed by Mike Binder, "Reign Over Me" is the story of a fortunate encounter that encourages two old friends to reflect upon the past in order to make peace with the present. The film brings a unique storyline to the big screen, but fails to excite audience members with its redundant plotline and unconvincing acting.

Don Cheadle ("Crash") stars as Alan Johnson, a man with an elegant strength that falls into an incongruous place of weakness. He leads a seemingly perfect life of a successful dentist-by-day and loving husband- and father-by-night. Although Johnson appreciates his privileged life and beautiful family, he longs for something more than morning talks about healthy foods and evenings of puzzle-making.

In search of life outside his impressively decorated home, Johnson stumbles upon his old college roommate Charlie Fineman (Adam Sandler, "Click") in the hustle and bustle of New York City.

After losing his wife and three daughters in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Fineman has buried memories of happier days beneath his overwhelming grief. With only his landlord and accountant to help him cope with the loss, Fineman relies on his oversized headphones to help him tune out the real world. When Johnson flags Fineman down during an oddly quiet night in New York City, Fineman struggles to place his old friend's name and face, but accepts this stranger's kindness just as any lost boy would.

Johnson, a man suffocated by his career and family, soon realizes Fineman's state of severe isolation. However, Fineman offers Johnson the excitement and spontaneity he seeks — like showing up at his home at 10:30 p.m. to force the family man out of bed and out on the town. Like two college kids, Fineman and Johnson forget about the bad and embrace the good. Between movie marathons, videogames and Chinese dinners, Johnson attempts to help Fineman come to terms with his past so he can have a future.

As can be expected, Cheadle and Sandler quickly establish the compelling on-screen dynamic of two old friends growing up for a second time, but falter slightly. Beware of the time when the co-stars overplay their lost-and-confused state without a noticeable step forward — viewers may actually start looking under the seat for a fast-forward button. The plot is also undeniably intriguing and successfully captures a rare element of emotional inspiration.

As far as the acting goes, Cheadle is impressive and powerful as Johnson. Though a delicate man himself, Johnson stays strong when everyone around him breaks down, and he fights for what he believes even when he stands alone. Just as he did in "Hotel Rwanda" and "Crash," Cheadle again graces the big screen with natural talent and satisfying charm — not that viewers would expect anything less judging from his typically praiseworthy performances.

Sandler's portrayal of Charlie Fineman has an unsettling parallel to some of Sandler's more Billy Madison-esque roles. With an all too familiar humor, Sandler attempts to play a man suffering from the aftermath of losing his whole family. Sandler's childish demeanor overwhelms his supposedly depressed character with an unfitting comedic tone. Sandler does, however, provide the only laugh-out-loud outlet throughout the whole film. And for that, the audience will thank him.

Jada Pinkett Smith, Liv Tyler, Saffron Burrows and Donald Sutherland all contribute influential and entertaining supporting roles. The three attractive actresses bring a necessary dose of femininity to the screen. Smith plays Janeane Johnson, Cheadle's wife, while Tyler plays the role of Angela Oakhurst, the all-knowing psychiatrist, and Burrows masters the role of misunderstood eye-candy.

Vibrant images of New York City provide a lively setting and a subtle juxtaposition to Fineman's sometimes dark and sunken personality. In sync with Fineman's love for music, "Reign Over Me" boasts an excellent soundtrack as well, including one of the character's favorite tunes (and inspiration for the film's title), "Love, Reign O'er Me" by The Who.

Even with the film's shortcomings, "Reign Over Me" is a heartfelt drama that brings a touching plot to the big screen. Just as Charlie Fineman did not expect one of his nightly rides to bring him to a place of higher hopes, viewers will be surprisingly moved by "Reign Over Me" — despite Sandler's grunged-out appearance and borderline offensive jokes.

Grade: 3.5 out of 5