‘Undiscovered’ musician bears all

The past week has shown a regular second coming of the British Invasion in the popular music release bin. With songstress Amy Winehouse releasing her soulful second album and relative Scottish newcomers The Fratellis unleashing their energetic Costello Music stateside, some rising artists may have felt heavy anxiety about matching up.

However, poised with the name of a legend and the looks of a fresh-faced James Blunt, English singer-songwriter James Morrison rises to the challenge on his debut album, Undiscovered.

And rest assured, the young lad won't be left among the unknowns for long.

Morrison, who hails from Rugby, England, is hardly the run-of-the-mill Brit rocker. Raised on a wholesome diet of equal parts Al Green, Otis Redding and the Kinks, his own music blends a little bit of '60s soul with the fresh, youthful edge of popular guy-with-a-guitar John Mayer and the pleasant pitch of Gavin DeGraw on the album.

While the material is not quite up to the soul-bearing level of Redding and company just yet, from beginning to end of the 13-track disc, the 22-year-old shows that, with time and a little more life experience, he has the potential to fit those shoes.

In each blues-infused track, the artist delivers lyrics listeners can easily relate to, giving hope to those feeling stuck in a massive case of the Mondays, helping to deal with that messy break-up and giving a glimmer of optimism to the hopeless.

Morrison eases into things on the first single off of Undiscovered, "You Give Me Something," an ode to that special someone he wants to play a bigger part in his life. The track does little to set itself apart as an album standout, but its subtlety is its strong suit. Morrison softly croons over a lightly bouncing backdrop and casts listeners into a soothing trance.

Not to be confused with a Louis Armstrong classic, "Wonderful World" sees the singer-songwriter taking his tones up a notch, venting his frustration by adding a slight growl to his otherwise pure voice. Careful not to overdo the instrumentation, Morrison strikes a pleasant balance between the blast of horns and his powerful vocals.

However, on the low-key "The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore," the singer goes a little too Boyz II Men for comfort as he lays on the melodrama in the lyrics department. Showing his youth and inexperience, the artist sappily croons: "Well I can't explain why it's not enough, Cause I gave it all to you/ And if you leave me now, Oh just leave me now/ It's the better thing to do, It's time to surrender/ It's been to long pretending/ There's no use in trying/ When the pieces don't fit anymore, Pieces don't fit here anymore."

Not to worry, however, the whole puppies-and-candy-canes mentality doesn't last too long.

Morrison shines on "Undiscovered," the album's title track, which hits home with any soon-to-be college graduate searching for a purpose in life, or among the likes of down-and-out singles waiting for someone to rescue them from solitude. He settles into his comfort zone with a hint of acoustic guitar-based percussion and light keyboard, rocking out in the chorus as he belts: "I'm not lost, just undiscovered."

But while the album remains engaging throughout, Morrison's emotion is at its peak on the bonus track "If the Rain Must Fall," a wailing track where listeners can almost imagine him down on his knees at the feet of his love interest as he pours his heart out note by note. The track showcases Morrison's vocal control as he shifts from the booming choruses in and out to almost a whisper.

Undiscovered is an album meant to be savored and gets better with each additional rotation. James Morrison's smooth vocals provide a little something for every mood, as the album ranges the musical spectrum from the soft ballad to blues powerhouse track. For listeners who enjoy a little soul, a taste of rhythm and blues, discover Britain's pale version of Stevie Wonder and give this one a spin.

Grade: 3.5 out of 5